PDA

View Full Version : Help with stuck forend

Chuck Girard
12-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Hello. An acquaintance has this SXS shotgun that he inherited and wants to sell, but whomever owned it etched their DL number on the receiver, barrels, and forend. He was adamant that they come off so I said I'd help. I think the job came out well, but in my zeal to see the finished product, I did something wrong - I either reassembled the forend metal latch mechanism improperly, or I snapped the forend on with the latch back. Now it's STUCK big time with the latch out. Any ideas would be welcome. I'll be sitting here as I wait hitting my self with a hammer cursing my stupidity. Thanks in advance..

Dean Romig
12-10-2016, 01:41 PM
All I can say is that if you force it the soldered forend lug will probably pull off from the barrels.

Chuck Girard
12-10-2016, 03:37 PM
So I'm getting nowhere fast with this. Not sure where to go from here.

Brian Dudley
12-12-2016, 01:11 PM
This is likely a problem caused by improper fitting of that non-original btfe to the barrels.
Sometimes the tolorances between the iron, lug and toggle key can be pretty tight and if non-factory work is done, this can be compromised. Likely the toggle key is binding up on the front of the forend lug.

King Brown
12-12-2016, 04:03 PM
I've got out of trouble with tight fits by wrapping in dry ice---but not guns.

Jerry Harlow
12-12-2016, 10:11 PM
With the forend lever stuck out like that my guess is that the spring and tumbler did not engage with the lever when you assembled it. Otherwise the spring would have tension on the lever and it would snap back. When the lever is pulled out it moves the tumbler which releases the forend.

Since there is no contact currently between the lever and the tumbler, when it was snapped back in place the tumbler engaged. Since there is no way to move it without the lever, my advice for what it is worth is to pull gently on the forend and hopefully that pressure will cause the tumbler to move/rotate out of the hook on the barrels. There is no pressure holding it the way I figure so a steady pressure may make it possible to "tumble" back out of its locked position.

Just my 2 cents, as if it were mine and what I would try.

Chuck Girard
12-13-2016, 05:27 PM
I've tried prying, pulling, slapping, smacking and about anything else and this thing is stuck good. Interestingly enough, the locking latch was able to move back to its original position with a little pushing, so the gun is now fully functional-except the forend is stuck on. Thanks to everyone for the help - I will post follow up when I figure out what I will do long term.

Brad Bachelder
12-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Chuck

If you want to give me a call, I should be able to talk you through its removal.

Brad

John Coory
12-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Another fore end question. My recently acquired VE hammerless ejector 12 gauge has a broken fore end lever spring, it's the item listed on the Technical Information page parts illustration as #36.
Are they available anywhere? I am sure one could fabricate this simple piece if not.
Where exactly does it locate in the fore end assembly? Can anyone advise please.
Thanks,
John

Brian Dudley
12-18-2016, 08:06 PM
John,
I can help you with nearly any Parker part you may need. Forend springs being one of them.

Chuck Girard
12-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Update - Brad was kind enough to provide the following idea: use a quick clamp placed over the forend latch and the barrels and squeeze down hard. Tap the barrels on a 2x4. I messed around with this method for a week or so with no luck. Today, I tried again and tapped the forend with a plastic mallet. The lug finally flipped and the forend is off. Slight damage to the locking mechanism, but a much better fix than breaking off the forend wood. Thanks Brad!!!