PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged

Jack Cronkhite
06-18-2010, 08:35 PM
My father-in-law was in a toss it out kick a while ago. As a dutiful son-in-law, I was helping him with the chore. This item was tossed. It was covered in oil soaked saw dust, metal dust and just plain dust. When I gave it a wipe, everything cleaned off relatively quickly to reveal the oil can. I was pleasantly surprised and asked if he would mind if I kept it. No problem, since it was already tossed and he didn't want it. He hasn't had a gun in hand since the 1960's, so I'm guessing the vintage of this product is in that era but others here will likely know for sure. It is at least 2/3 full, so I feel like I scored but then it is just gun oil after all. Sort of like a "second chance" oil tin so it is reserved for "second chance" gun 108603.

Cheers,
Jack

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=128&pictureid=1471

Bill Murphy
06-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Unopened can on ebay, $34.50, no date mentioned. I haven't seen that can before, but I don't collect cans. The Outer's oil of my childhood (I am a child of the fifties), was the yellow can with black and red accents, also on ebay, but more prevalent than your can.

Jack Cronkhite
06-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks Bill: I'm of the same era and also had the yellow can at one time. I'm now working on being a child of this millenium but I can't run as fast, jump as high or far or ride a bike down hill with no hands pedalling as hard as possible as I could in the fifties. I do however get to go hunting whenever I please (well as long as the government also pleases), shoot ammo and not consider it wasted if there is no meat brought down and play with the dogs even during school hours. It's all good.

Cheers,
Jack

Bill Murphy
06-20-2010, 08:07 AM
I still have the kit in the red tin box and the yellow can my parents bought for me when I was about 11 years old.