PDA

View Full Version : This is interesting....

Ed Blake
06-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Someone tried to fake a Bernard-barreled hammer gun?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174843009

Dean Romig
06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
In my opinion the "BERNARD" barrel rib is not the only thing about this gun that was faked. Looks to be a very early "upgrade" :eek:

Harry Collins
06-18-2010, 08:11 AM
It makes me sad to see old Parkers "whored-up"........

Harry

Bill Murphy
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
The most interesting aspect of this gun is that the word "Bernard" is spelled correctly. Most builders of these guns are illiterate. Any real gunsmith would know how to operate a letter stamp.

Jack Cronkhite
06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Dean: The photos are not great. Can you elaborate on the "upgrades" you see. One side plate seems to have some poor scroll work that looks out of place. Is that the kind of "upgrade" you mean?? thanks.
No reserve. Will be interesting to see the successful bid for this gun.

Maybe provenance will see the bids rise. Could it have been owned and the barrrel rib stamped by "Tony Curtis" when he was poor and before he changed his name and became a successful movie star?

Dean Romig
06-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Dean: The photos are not great. Can you elaborate on the "upgrades" you see. One side plate seems to have some poor scroll work that looks out of place. Is that the kind of "upgrade" you mean?? thanks.

Right Jack, that's exactly what I mean - and the scroll engraving on the breech balls and the bottom of the frame as well as the dog in the vignette. The gun is obviously a Grade 0 or 1 and the scroll embellishment was someone's idea of upgrading. For lack of a better description - I simply called it an "upgrade".

It was probably originally stamped TWIST on the rib and I'm not saying the engraving embellishment isn't nicely done - just in my opinion, not original.

Bill Murphy
06-18-2010, 01:54 PM
An early Bruce Day effort? Sorry about that, I just couldn't resist.

Dave Suponski
06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Bill,You should be ashamed...:biglaugh:

Carl Brandt
06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe provenance will see the bids rise. Could it have been owned and the barrrel rib stamped by "Tony Curtis" when he was poor and before he changed his name and became a successful movie star?

WOW! Originally owned by Bernie Schwartz. That ought to run up the $$$.

Bruce Day
06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
An early Bruce Day effort? Sorry about that, I just couldn't resist.

Laugh if you want and yuk it up, but boys, I have it on good authority that if I move to Connecticut, I can learn to perfect the craft and do very well.

I made this one for Bernard Madoff. It may become a collector's gun.

Bill Murphy
06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
:cool::cool::cool:

Dave Suponski
06-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Huh?

charlie cleveland
06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
what for....yep do it every time