PDA

View Full Version : Lucked upon some Parker stuff.

Brian Hornacek
10-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Hello all, I was lucky enough to purchase the below lot if collectables. Nothing too crazy but the 3 cast iron troughs, all painted with a green background and gold accents, I was told it is what is left of an umbrella stand. Does anyone have a opinion or a picture of an original complete?

Brian

Brian Dudley
10-23-2016, 07:16 PM
Nice buy. I have one of those mission oak tower clocks as well. That one is painted by the look of it. They originally woild have been natural wood with a period varnish or shellac on it. And the bears are always a good find. Yours looks to be nice.

I cant say i know anything about the parts to the umbrella stand.

The glass coffe grinder having the bottom catch cup is nice too.

Brian Hornacek
10-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Yes did not get into a lot of detail but the mission was painted. The match safe is like new, the vise is like new and the bear has substantial paint. The rest is typical. One more picture of the cast iron items.

Brian

Richard Flanders
11-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Nice match safe. I need to find one to put on the log wall next to my wood stove. The two matching iron troughs look like bread pans.

Dean Romig
11-17-2016, 02:42 PM
That's what I thought Richard, but Brian says they're cast iron, so probably not.

Richard Flanders
11-17-2016, 03:19 PM
I think they're bread pans. They're tapered, have a bottom that would leave a nice impression on the top of the bread and a longer lip on one end to pull them out of the oven with. Google "cast iron bread pan" and you tons of hits. Lodge makes one. Surprised me too as I've never seen an iron bread pan; apparently they're not unusual.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Loaf-Pan/0000000220544?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CO_n9MvNsNACFQiQaQodYQkF-A

Dean Romig
11-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Hey Brian... Nice bread pans!!

Brian Dudley
11-17-2016, 05:22 PM
I shared this photo with another very knowledgable individual who collects anything Parker. He too has an example of these same items, and agrees that they are parts to an umbrella holder, but he does not have an example of a catalog containing one.

Richard Flanders
11-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Has anyone any idea how those parts go together to make an umbrella stand? I can see the larger piece being a base but it would need some form of upright support that would hold the umbrellas vertical. Most that I've seen were tallish basket like thingies. My grandparents had one in their farm house that they used for canes(one v cool one that had a sword inside it!) and umbrellas.

edgarspencer
11-18-2016, 01:19 PM
They were the pan at the bottom of the umbrella stand to collect the water running off the wet umbrella.

Dean Romig
11-18-2016, 03:35 PM
I'd sure like to see one assembled so we would know how they all went together. The raised, gold painted borders don't even match.

Dean, the skeptic....

edgarspencer
11-18-2016, 03:44 PM
This isn't a Charles Parker, but it's good enuf so you get the idea.

Dean Romig
11-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Nope - sorry....

edgarspencer
11-18-2016, 03:49 PM
An Umbrella stand with a Bear would go right well with a Parker motif.

Brian Dudley
11-19-2016, 06:09 AM
Grip them umbrellas like a grizzly.

Maybe the pads are from two different models of umbrella stands. One with a single large tray and one with two small trays. Or maybe just a small model with a single small tray. ???

Brian Hornacek
11-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Edgar is spot on. The 2 small pans were for a wooded hall tree and the bigger one i believe is for a cast iron stand where the support shaft came up through the half round cut out. I found this advertisement but the picture was expired:

"Halltree walnut with burl veneer accent panels. Has original Parker cast iron drip pans. White marble over drawer, 7 turned walnut hat hooks. RARE Columbus crest made of union thermoplastic or gutta purcha. Measures approx 1'' deepest, 3'' widest and 7'' tall. Fancy scribe carved finial tops off this wonderful piece of Victorian furniture. Fully restored to a rich brown walnut shade. Status: For Sale Reference#: 141_b1400 Condition: fine Year: c1870"

I also found these two item pictures expired on ebay each listed as "cast iron umbrella drip pans". You can see each set is the same in form and one set is a parker the same as mine.

The stand pictured is just for example, it is not one that was listed with "Parker" pans. I just wanted to show an example with drip pans.

I have a great cabinet maker friend and think I will have him make a stand for me.

I have really enjoyed turning over a few rocks on these Parker items.

Richard Flanders
11-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Good work Brian! That stand is gorgeous. Funny actually; As I looked at them at first the only explanation I could come up with for the single larger lip 'handle' on one end, if they aren't bread pans, was that they could be a small drawer of some kind. A bread pan would have a handle on both ends. These could certainly be 'repurposed' as bread pans though. Without the wood stand I can't imagine what else one would do with them unless you used them to make the mother of all lead ingots. I have a lead ingot from the Kellogg mining district in Idaho that would fill more than one of those. I bet some of these got used for storing mixed nuts and bolts in the barn once the wood part was gone...

Dean Romig
11-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your research Brian - I am now convinced they are from a hall tree as you have shown.

Dean