PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Parker

Lee Weiss
06-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Greeting Folks,

I have aquired a Parker and would like some feedback. I believe it is a DH from the web site info I have found. The gun belonged to my grandfather who passed away in 1961. My Dad believed he bought the gun new. The s/n is 139448 which would date the gun at 1906. The stock is not the original. According to my dad, a straight stock was put on the gun. I do not know if this would be a Parker aftermarket stock. Gramps was supposed to be a heck of a shot with that gun. My dad said he couldn't hit sh*t with that straight stock. The case is a little rough with the broken strap. The gun has been on many hunting trips and shows the wear and tear. The gun hasn't hunted since the 1970's.

So, is this a DH model? What kind of ball park value would this gun have? As in, should I make sure it is insured and is it time to buy a gun safe? Should I get an appraisal? Any other preservation pointers other than the obvious such as oil the metal. Specific wood preseveration or any other things "I should know". I have read some posts here on and off for a while. This is a very nice group and very passionate about there Parkers

Thanks in advance.

Lee Weiss

Russ Jackson
06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Hello Lee; Welcome aboard !! I looked in the serialization book and yours is one of the guns with the serial # missing ,I have a few of those myself ,you can go to our home page and put your serial # in where it says letters and there still in fact may be factory records for your gun. You do in fact have a DHE grade Parker ,the E on the end is for an " Ejector "gun, Titanic Steel barrels, standard on most D Grade fluid steel barreled guns and appears to be on the standard #2 frame. Your gun appears to show quite a bit of field use,especially on the fore end ,although it seems to show some case colors on the receiver and quite a bit of color on the water table, which is very nice .It looks like a very nice usable gun, I wish my Grand Dad would have had one that I might have ended up with, I don't believe you could put a price on that ! Congrats on your new Parker !! Enjoy, Russ

Bill Murphy
06-28-2009, 10:01 AM
The plate that retains your ejectors seems to be missing or broken. The ejectors should not come out that far. Send us a picture of the breech face from the rear with the ejectors pushed in so we can evaluate your problem. You should not shoot the gun in this condition until you diagnose the problem and have it professionally repaired. Most gunsmiths are not prepared to fix this problem. We can tell you who to take it to.

Russ Jackson
06-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Bill; You always have the best eye ! I apologize but that got right past me, I just broke down a DHE to check and the ejectors only come out to about the end of the dolls head rib extension.

Lee Weiss
06-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

Thanks so much for your responses so far. I have enclosed more pics. Hopefully that will tell more about the ejector situation. I would have that repaired although I doubt I will hunt with it. Maybe trap and skeet just to say I have shot the gun or maybe not.

As far as the serial # goes, the # on the stock matches and the barrel assy on the side has a matching #. So is the # I referenced off of the date code mfg sheet not correct or did I mis-interpret something here.

The pictures attached show the ejectors
#93 shows ejectors, is this picture detailed enough?
#94 shows the bottom of the stock and the S/N is engraved on there
#97 shows the S/N on the side of the barrel assy.
#98 Is the straight stock. Is it that much different fro a traditional stock.
#99 shows the pitting on the barrel, a little up by the breech and some about 6 inches down the barrel fron that particular pitting spot. that is the worst of the pitting the gun shows.

Thanks again

Lee

Bill Murphy
06-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Yup, your ejector retaining plate seems to be missing but the screw seems to be in place. I hope it is the original screw and not one that has been forced into the original hole. Your gun needs to go to the shop. I would call Larry Del Grego and ask if he has a plate he can fit. He could check your ejectors for function and clean up the inside a bit. Try to hold off any refinishing work until you get it working correctly. A 1910 patent bolt plate has been fitted to your gun. That's good news. The stock seems to be the heavy competition style and an uncommonly raised comb area so your gun could conceivably been made for a famous shooter. A PGCA letter may be interesting reading.

Dean Romig
06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if you find that the stock replacement was done by Parker Bros. It has the correct style of engraving on the trigger guard tang, looks to have had the skeleton steel buttplate fitted, checkering and carved points done correctly - everything looks correct and that high comb is obviously a special order. I agree, you should definitely get a PGCA Research Latter.

Bill Murphy
06-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Although you say the stock was replaced, it looks like a Parker stock. Better pictures of the side view of the front end of the stock with checkering would tell us more clearly. With a skeleton buttplate, it would be unlikely anyone but Parker would have done the work. There are surviving records at PGCA on your gun, probably order book entries since the stock book with your gun is missing. The order book has the interesting information like the name of the original purchaser, the configuration of the gun when it was made, as well as possibly repairs, restocking, or modifications made to the gun up to 1919.

Bill Murphy
06-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Tell us your grandfather's name and states of residence and maybe we can tell you if he shot for money with that gun.

George Lander
06-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Lee: To answer your other question I would place an insurance value on your Grandfather's Parker at $6,000 - $8,000

Best Regards, George

Richard Flanders
06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow. Based on the forend I'd say that puppy has had a few train cars of shells put through it. I just wish guns like that could talk and tell their stories. Very interesting stock comb. Nice acquisition Lee. Be sure to stick around this forum and let us know what you learn and of getting it fixed up and shootin'.... then will come the hunting stories hopefully...

Lee Weiss
06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks to all for all of your input! I have attached pictures of the stock. Hope that gives a better view. My grandfathers name was Frank Weiss. He would most likely have bought the gun in Iowa, Dubuque probably. Although Dubuque borders both Wisconsin and Illinois. So, surrounding cities in either WI or IL are a possibility.

As far as a PGCA letter goes how does one proceed or forgive me if that is in the FAQ section, no flames please. I'll check.

Bill, you said to contact Larry Del Greco for repair work to the ejector. Is there a contact available? Sorry again, if am am asking FAQ stuff.

To Richard, this gun did alot of rabbit hunting in the depression. My grampa didn't drive but he had top notch rabbit dogs (beagles). So there were always people willing to take or go with gramps hunting, if you will. Gramps died the year I was born so I never knew him. This is all pass along from my dad. Dad said it was rare for gramps to miss a shot at anything. Back then if you wanted to eat you didn't miss. My dad doesn't care much for wild game because he grew up on it. People hear those stories now and kinda chuckle but that was the way life was then.

To Bill, I asked my dad if gramps shot competitive at all and he said not that he ever knew of. He was pretty sure that he was the original owner of the gun. Also,after he thought about it he said the ejectors never came out as they now do. It has been probably 40 yrs at minimun since the gun has been shot.

Thanks to all who have responded,
I appreciate it greatly,
Lee

Richard Flanders
06-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Is that a wooden reinforcing rod I see in the butt?

Lee Weiss
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Between the two small screws I see what you see in the picture. It does look like it could be a rod. When I look at it with my eyes I didn't (don't) see it. It looks like it is there in the picture though. When I run my hand over it, there is a slight indentation where the camera shows whatever it is. It is not round as I would expect it to be if it were a dowel rod of some sort. I'll need to look with a magnifying glass. I suspect a indent of some sort though. I'll bring home my mag glass from work and inspect.

Bill Murphy
06-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Larry Del Grego 315-894-8754 or 315-895-7395. I got these numbers from old PGCA information. I can't find such information on the new website. Del Grego does not have a website or email, so get on the phone.

Dean Romig
06-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Of the rods and plugs I have seen, that (whatever it is) between the screws is not in the same position as those I have seen.