PDA

View Full Version : Parker 10 guage hammer pre 1876

William Burr
06-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I have a pre 1876 10 guage hammer, double with shell ejectors. It is marked on the rib between the barrels twist. It was my great grandfathers, and I am having trouble determining its value. Perhaps you can see the attached photo and give me a guess.

William Burr

Robin Lewis
06-01-2010, 03:32 PM
How did you determine it was a "pre 1876"? Are you sure it has ejectors or might they be extractors?

The serial number and close up pictures of the markings under the barrel; close ups of the rest too (checkering, sides, trigger guard, forend,... etc) and I'm sure you will get some good feedback.

Go to our main page parkerguns.org and click on the "Parker Identification" on the left side and you should be able to identify what you have, which will go a long way in answering your questions.

From what I can see it looks like a nice gun.

Austin W Hogan
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
It is a very nice looking gun, but I cannot see the lifter button that would put it in the 1878 age range. Please post some more detailed pictures; we are enthusiastic about seeing it

Best, Austin

William Burr
06-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Thank you guys for your feedback. I will post some detailed pics later this afternoon. I am sure you are correct the gun is fitted with shell extractors instead of ejectors. Also there is no serial number located on the gun, only a patent date.

WBB

Harry Collins
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
William,

Stranger things have happened and some Parkers were taken home in pieces in a lunch box. Of course there were no serial numbers on those guns. Parker put the serial number on the trigger guard, the left side of the barrel lug and when the forend is taken off the serial number is found. Your Parker appears to have a top lever and they were not produced until late 1881. I too would love to see more pictures.

Harry

William Burr
06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Sorry it took a while for me to get the pictures on the computer.

Gun is stamped.

Barell Pat D June 25th 1878
All Parts 36772
Action march 16 1876, April 11 1872
Bottom near trigger guard Pat D March 23 1875
Behind trigger guard 36772

Chuck Bishop
06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
William, your gun was built in 1883. It's not listed in the Serilization book but from your picture, it's either a Grade 0 or Grade 1 toplever hammer gun with a round knob pistol grip.

From your picture it looks like it has a good amount of case colors on the receiver. If it is and it's original, it effects the value quite a bit. Also the condition of the barrels such as pitting inside and outside of the barrels and the amount of blueing remaining. Measure the length of the barrels too.

If you can, post as many closeup photo's in focus of the receiver (all sides) and you'll get a better opinion of value. Also post a picture of the barrel flats in focus so we can see the markings.

Chuck Bishop

William Burr
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Guys I cant get the pictures to uplod to the site.

Chuck Bishop
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Send them to me and I'll post for you. bishop474@comcast.net

William Burr
06-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Thank you Geo. I have sent some pictures and specs. to PGCA for evaluation. Lets see what they say. Thanks again.

Dave Suponski
06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Chuck is a valued member of the PGCA. Feel safe sending pictures to him for posting.