PDA

View Full Version : question

charlie cleveland
05-23-2010, 08:27 PM
do any of you that reload out there load your plastic and paper shellslike you do brass shells. ive been loading some of mine this away.hull seem to last a lot longer. i reloaded a 8 ga. winshester plastic shell atotal of 22 times before having to discard it.all of the 8 ga winchester hull last at least 15 times before becoming bad.i know there will be a few comments . charlie

Mike Stahle
05-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Funny you mention this Charlie,
I just tried this with two 12 ga.Winchester brand high brass #6 shot
2 3/4" plastic shells. I very carefully cut the crimp end of the shell off.
poured the shot out, pulled the wad / shot-cup out. Then discarded the
powder. Put 3 drams of BP in, a nitro card, a fiber wad, dumped the shot
back in, then glued an over-shot card in.
I only did two of these because I'm not sure what kind of issues I
will have with the hot plastic, if any.

calvin humburg
05-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Hey thats a great idea I could get some 3 1/2 inch 10s trim them to a shade under 2 7/8 and get with it. Could a person use smokeless powder in them for those days when you don't want to clean your gun. ch

Dave Suponski
05-24-2010, 09:21 AM
From what I have heard black powder destroys the hulls.I am interested to know the outcome of your testing.

Mike Stahle
05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Calvin, "Could a person use smokeless powder" I would think so,
I'm still playing around with BP haven't gotten over into smokeless
as of yet. I would like to pick up an old hand roll crimper one of
these days and try my hand at loading paper shells with smokeless.

Dave, "From what I have heard black powder destroys the hulls."
I have heard this as well. I will indeed let you know how it works out.
I'm not going to run those two rounds through the Parker. I have
an old test gun for this. :corn:

Harry Collins
05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I am at work and don't have my reference material with me, however when Hammer Doubles was making brass that would take 209 primers their loading data with fiber wads and over shot card took more powder to get the same velocity. The pressures were alot lower as well. If I can remember when I get off the tractor tonight, I will post what 12 gauge data I have for fiber wads. Balistics Products "Mighty Ten" manual has fiber wad data for the 10 gauge if I remember correctly. Again, I will try to look it up if I can remember between now and this evening.

Harry

Dave Miles
05-24-2010, 11:11 AM
I have shot Pyrodex in Plastic hulls without issue, but never tried true Black Powder.

Mike Stahle
05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
I am at work and don't have my reference material with me, however when Hammer Doubles was making brass that would take 209 primers their loading data with fiber wads and over shot card took more powder to get the same velocity. The pressures were alot lower as well. If I can remember when I get off the tractor tonight, I will post what 12 gauge data I have for fiber wads. Balistics Products "Mighty Ten" manual has fiber wad data for the 10 gauge if I remember correctly. Again, I will try to look it up if I can remember between now and this evening.

Harry

Thanks Harry,
I for one would be very interested in this info.

Mike :)

Bill Murphy
05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Charlie, what kind of powder are you using in the shells that last 15 loadings? Do you use a resizer to get past the industrial shell brass or do you peel the brass away?

Robert Rambler
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
FWIW, Plastic hulls mentioned about halfway down the page.

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Paul Harm
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
When I've shot BP in plastic shells they seem to get pin holes where the powder would be after one or two times- some last three. I once tried to load smokeless powder in brass shells and fiber wads. Got " blupers". I was useing PB at the time and if I remember a 12ga load called for 15 to 18grs. Useing paper wads I went up 10%- still weak. Went all the way 30grs- still no recoil and sounded weak. I stopped not haveing a pressure tester- the brass hull has so much more volume and no crimp to give resistance I don't think I was getting a good powder burn. I think one time someone posted they were shooting smokeless and paper wads in a brass hull with good results but don't remember who it was.

Mike Stahle
05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
FWIW, Plastic hulls mentioned about halfway down the page.

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Thanks Robert,

I will add the Paragraph from the web site.

"Plastic Shells. Plastic shells get sort of melted on the inside when fired with black powder and will not take a crimp after about 2 or 3 firings. Just accept it and throw them away. Paper shells work fine; they were originally designed for black powder.
I normally use plastic. It is easier to obtain and is easier to trim and crimp."

Now if you'r like me I am like the Charlie Daniels song, “The Legend Of Wooley Swamp”

But I couldn't believe it. I just had to find out for myself.
And I couldn't conceive it 'Cause I never would have listened
to nobody else. ;)

charlie cleveland
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
bill i am using alliant blue dot powder.the 8 ga winschester shells were resized by tom armbrust. he has adye that will compress the brass in one step.a guy used to sell these resizer but alas he no longer makes them to sell. i tried to get one from him but no luck. tom arbrust sells these shells at a really good price.bill he has a good book out about 8 ga and 4 bore guns and ammo.it has a lot of reloading stuff in there for the big guns. charlie ps. ive probly shot arond 500 of the loads in a parker hammer gun and destreys old fa lommis.

Harry Collins
05-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Ok girls, it's past my bed time, but I'll give one of the loads Hammer Doubles listed for their brass hulls and WW 209 primers. These were tested by Tom in McHenry, Il. 1 1/8 oz shot, 32 grains of IMR 7625, 1 over powder card, 2 cushion wads, 1 over shot card = 1154 fps @ 3350 fps.

Will try to post some more in the morning.

Harry

Mike Stahle
05-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Ok girls, it's past my bed time, but I'll give one of the loads Hammer Doubles listed for their brass hulls and WW 209 primers. These were tested by Tom in McHenry, Il. 1 1/8 oz shot, 32 grains of IMR 7625, 1 over powder card, 2 cushion wads, 1 over shot card = 1154 fps @ 3350 fps.

Will try to post some more in the morning.

Harry

Wow! that's indeed a low pressure load (3350)

Harry Collins
05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
What I find troubling about the Hammer Double load is the amount of powder used. My IMR 7625 load is WW209 primer, AA hull, 22.5 grains powder, CB1118-12 wad and 1 1/8 oz shot yielding 1145 fps @ 6500 psi! I don't know the difference between the friction in a brass hull compared to plastic, but I would not start with 30 something grains of powder in a plastic hull and fiber wads.

Harry

calvin humburg
05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Could it have something to do with a compressed load? Never loaded smokless loads with press maybe they don't compress much. Might just have to stick with black and cleaning at night.