PDA

View Full Version : If your use AOL...

John Dunkle
04-13-2016, 09:08 AM
If you are subscribed to this forum with an AOL e-mail address, you will notice that you have not received any e-mail notices from new posts in threads you are "subscribed" to over the past day or so.

While I am working on having AOL fix the issue, the problem is that they have added my e-mail server(s) to their "Temp Hold SPAM" list. Why? I have absolutely no idea - which, frankly - I find a bit hilarious as AOL is one of the largest contributors to SPAM, spoofed and hacked e-mail addresses historically on the Internet..??! ;)

Anyway - I've been working on both a "work-around" to their "block" and have contacted their "Postmaster" account, which is part of the resolution process dictated by AOL...

For that - I have absolutely zero idea when AOL might deign to investigate their issue...

Best always,

John D.

Mills Morrison
04-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Thank you for your efforts John.

Blah! I am sure that is a pain in the you know what

John Dunkle
04-13-2016, 09:16 AM
I afraid poor Mary Bowes took the brunt of it Sunday night at 9:30 PM when I was knee deep in this debacle - and getting flamed by someone who insisted I should approve his "Account on the forum" as "Dr.StrangeLove" or something - and was pretty much a rabid dog telling me what a screwed up site/forum I was running...

Can I tell you how much of an adventure I've had in doing this for eight years or so?? ;)

HEH!

John D.

Mills Morrison
04-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Whoa! That sounds like a banned member trying to get back in or something.

John Dunkle
04-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Nope... Just an angry person who thought he was right.. ;) unfortunately, it's not the first time.

Anyway, it's what it is..

Best always!

John D.

Dean Romig
04-13-2016, 09:46 AM
John, you have shared some of your "Adventures of a Webmaster" before and believe me, I wouldn't do it for twice your pay... ;) They're out there as you well know and you do a fantastic job!

I, being an AOL subscriber, was wondering what the reason was that I wasn't getting those email notifications, but figured it would either get resolved... or it wouldn't. But if it doesn't get resolved, it certainly won't be because you didn't give it your best effort!

Thanks for all you do John :cheers:

John Dunkle
04-13-2016, 09:50 AM
;) HEH!!! Yea - well - I should write a book, right?? HA!

Seriously - I'll "double your pay" if you "double mine"?!!

Seriously - right back to you too, my friend - our thanks to you for all you do as well...! Parker Pages is an incredible effort on your end as well... And it doesn't go unnoticed nor unappreciated.... Thanks for that..!

BTW; somehow - even if we double - or triple? - our "pay", somehow it means the same amount? I was never a math wiz - but..? ;)

John D.

Jeff Kuss
04-13-2016, 12:55 PM
If we triple our pay, think of the taxes we will have to pay!

Bob Roberts
04-13-2016, 04:33 PM
John,

It can’t be said too often, without this forum there would not be a PGCA. Daily I follow a half dozen other special interest firearms related forums and PGCA’s is in all ways superior to all others. Everything works with scant interruption - posting photos, emoticons, membership renewal, optional notice of replies to posts, links to photo collections, thoughtful moderation, gentlemanly discourse and free sharing of important information... This organization is fortunate beyond measure to have the support you so graciously provide. And while I’m at it a big thumbs up to Mary Bowes and the forum moderators too. Thank you John, thank you all.

Bob

John Dunkle
04-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Bob,

Awww - shucks - my thanks. But - this site, community and all the friendships is about you - and folks just like you - who appreciate all the PGCA does. My thanks for that...!!

And Jeff? your post has me LOL..!!!! ;)

My best to all - AND - as a quick update - I actually had an e-mail from the AOL NOC (Network Operations Center) telling me that we should be "up and running" to AOL customers in the next 24 hours...

We'll see, I guess?

My best and my thanks to all!

John D.

Richard Flanders
04-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Interesting. Does this issue include addresses like mine that are "compuserve.com", which is part of AOL?? I'm not sure if I've missed any emails or not. I'm wondering if I'm the very last compuserve user on the planet....

John Dunkle
04-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Interesting. Does this issue include addresses like mine that are "compuserve.com", which is part of AOL?? .....

Unfortunately - yes it does. As Compuserve's e-mail accounts were taken over by AOL many years ago, your account resides on AOL servers. However, as I mentioned above - AOL e-mailed me this evening and promised to undo their issue in the next 24 hours...

My fingers are crossed ;)

Best to you!

John

Eric Eis
04-14-2016, 10:34 AM
John, I'm on AOL and I noticed that the messages from the PGCA were going into my spam, just hit not spam and I think the problem is corrected. We'll see

Mills Morrison
04-14-2016, 10:37 AM
I knew technology was out to get me when spell check flagged "Morrison" and suggest I change it to "Moron"

Rick Losey
04-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Ok. Now that is funny

Mills Morrison
04-14-2016, 10:41 AM
It is true too. I am not kidding

John Dunkle
04-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Eric - you are right on...! Apparently, if folks report it as SPAM, my servers take a hit from AOL, as they reduce it's rating. When that rating hits a certain "lower level", they block all messages from that IP (my mail servers)...

Anyway - well stated - and my thanks for posting that! If folks want to unsubscribe from a "subscribed thread" - or all threads - jus click on the links contained in each message that's sent by this forum ;)

Now Mills - you are not alone... Open word and type "dunkle"... ;) HEH!!!!

John D.

wayne goerres
04-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Spell check has it's problems but think about what are post would look like without it.

Rick Losey
04-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Spell check has it's problems but think about what are post would look like without it.

well that spell checks :rotf: