PDA

View Full Version : 20 ga rst shells tested

charlie cleveland
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
i tested the rst shells at 40 yards. they were 2 1/2 in in lenght. they were no. 7 1/2 shot. gun used was a 20 ga parker 26 uncut barrels clyinder bore both barrels. target 30 circle.the rst shells preformed very well for a clyinder bore. would have killed a quail most of the time.there would have been several hits on a pheasant or simular size bird. recoil was good. you could shoot them all dayin a double barrel and not take a sore arm home with you. this was my first time to try the rst shells.in my opinion they are good shells to hunt and shoot with.pattern good. plenty pentration. and for you fellas with short chambers 2 1/2 inch they areright for those old parkers and other guns.also would be gentle on gun and shoulder . thanks goes to russ jackson who made this test posible...he furnished the 20 ga shells and used to be his parker used in this test. guns with more choke would be deadly with this rst shells. thanks again charlie

Carl Beers
05-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I have been extremely pleased with RST products. Have used both their 10 ga. and 20 ga. shells for a couple of years. This past Saturday morning I took a beautiful Tom with a VH 20 ga. using RST 7/8oz #6's. I put a #6 in the right barrel and a #5 in the left. So far I haven't had to use the #5 side. I work the bird in as close as possible and won't typically take a shot beyond 30 yards just out of respect for the bird. The Parker has 30" F&M barrels. The Mod barrel did its job very well by dropping the bird in its tracks at 23 yds. Our Wisconsin season has ended; heading to Nebraska tomorrow to finish out their Turkey season. Will be using RST's again in a different 20 ga. gun.

I really like the fact that if you have a question regarding RST ammo, you can call Alex or Morris and get answers; no double talk, straight forward answers. Back to packing.....

Best always, Carl Beers

Harry Collins
05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
If I am going on an expensive hunt, I always take RST's. Recently my horrid attorney friend purchased a little Webley Scott 28 gauge from Julias. We were shooting our 28's (mine is a Parker he found for me) miserably with reloads. The last two stations I produced a box of RST's and we didn't drop another clay. I wish I could afford to shoot factory loads all the time.

Harry

Dave Miles
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
You guys shooting the 20 gauge, 2-1/2" RST's, if you're not reloading them I would like to buy your empty hulls from you. Shoot me an e-mail if interested.
asphaltdave@comcast.net

Eric Grims
09-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Dave Miles
Would you share your 2 1/2 inch recipe with me. I am getting set up to reload the short ones and data is scarce.
Thanks

Bruce Day
09-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Just use the load data for the Winchester AA 2 5/8" shells. Works fine.

Mark Landskov
09-22-2010, 06:23 AM
My first American double was a Pre-War Winchester Model 24 in 20 gauge in near mint condition. The 12s and 16s were awkward clubs, but the 20 was okay. I used RST 2-1/2" Paper Lites with 7-1/2 shot. They make great ammo. I only wish they made 2-5/8" 10 gauge shells for my Lifter!

Larry Frey
09-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Mark,
Check your PM when you get a chance.