PDA

View Full Version : Parker grade

calvin humburg
05-17-2010, 06:48 AM
My lifter don't have a grade on water table by pictures it looks like a grade 1. The serial # is 22266. On the flates there is a 4 14 weight and also a (T) and also a E any ideas. Anybody put formbys tung oil on there barrels? ch

Bruce Day
05-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Calvin, its a PT 12/30, so its a base grade gun.

Formby's Tung Oil can be used on damascus or twist barrels, however, be careful with it because it will create layers. If you wipe a single thin layer on the barrels, that would be fine,but more than that and it will build into a layer that can look plastic. I would not put it on the engraved frame because it will fill in the engraving. Formby's does make a good wood refinish, let me know if you need suggestions.

Calvin, I am riding the Bike Across Kansas and will be in Colby the afternoon and evening of June 6 and Osborne on the 7th. I'll also be in Dodge sometime later in June, so let me know if you want to meet and need for me to look at guns for advise. Some fellow named Zook from Ness City is also riding, perhaps you know him. We often have a number of farmers and ranchers riding if they have gotten their wheat out.

Dave Fuller
05-17-2010, 11:22 PM
You'll find Zook is a Kansas name that comes up over and over if you live there. A really well known one came from Centralia.

calvin humburg
05-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Dave,
What in sam hill, Centralia. I only know 1 the teacher Bruce mentioned.

Dave Fuller
05-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Ooops, I mean Garden City, John Zook was the guy I was thinking of. John Riggins was from Centralia. :))

Frank Cronin
05-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Calvin, its a PT 12/30, so its a base grade gun.

Formby's Tung Oil can be used on damascus or twist barrels, however, be careful with it because it will create layers. If you wipe a single thin layer on the barrels, that would be fine,but more than that and it will build into a layer that can look plastic. I would not put it on the engraved frame because it will fill in the engraving. Formby's does make a good wood refinish, let me know if you need suggestions.

Bruce, suppose you have barrels that do have multiple layers and you want to get it off and restart again. What do you use to get it off? I have a high condition Lefever E grade with fine Damascus and it looks "plastic" like you mentioned.

Thanks Frank

Bruce Day
05-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Frank, yes, I overdid it once. Used denatured alcohol to take it off. Easy to take off on the barrels, but any denatured alcohol that gets on the stock will take off the wood finish.

Dave Suponski
05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Acetone would work as well but do not get it on wood.

David Yeatts
05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Calvin
Your gun 22266 (nice to have a full house) is a plain twist, grade 0, straight grip, 12, 30" barrels. The (T) is the mark for plain twist. Hope this helps.
Dave

calvin humburg
05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
David,
Thanks, least it's not aces and eights. ch