PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood cleaning rod??

Bill Anderson
05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I have seen several Parker Reproduction shotguns, both single barrel & 2 barrel sets, but have never seen a cleaning rod with any of them. Also I have only seen one oil bottle. Half of the cases that I saw didn't even have the oblong brass retaining clip to hold the rosewood rod in place. Did they all originally come with cleaning rods?? If so, did they all get canabalized and sold on eBay?? If anyone has ever seen a cleaning rod for sale please write. Also, were the rods stamped with "Parker Reproduction"?
Thank you, Bill

Robin Lewis
05-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Bill,

I own a Parker Reproduction with a case and case cover that came with a key and snap caps but no bottles or cleaning rod. I have since added a cleaning rod. I am the original owner so I assume they came configured the way I received mine. After reading your post I went to the Parker Reproduction advertising over on the Grades web page and clicked to enlarge the pictures with cases in the background and only one picture showed a bottle in the case; and that was for an A1S Repro.

Fred Lowe
05-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I have 2 guns with the oil bottles, and 2 sets of cleaning rods. I just now looked and the oil bottles are marked "PARKER Reproduction" on the caps. The rods are not marked but are identical. Both rod sets are 2 piece, and have 3 tips. Cotton swab, brass brush, and nylon brush. In both cases I believe I purchased the guns from original owners that bought the guns prior to the closeout sale. I have other sets that have only the snap caps.
I don't believe that the oil bottles or the cleaning rods were originally included in the sale. Maybe sold as accessories. I have owned a number Repro's now and looked at many more. Seldom see the bottles or the rods. I did purchase about 8 extra sets of 20 and 28 gauge snap caps at one point that are marked, wrapped in tissue and in small cardboard boxes. I believe I read the Skeuse's added them to the gun packages on the closeouts.

I would add that I am a "fan", not an "expert". Maybe Mr. Skeuse will see your thread and be able to comment.

Fred

Bruce Day
05-14-2010, 07:17 PM
On the cover of the Repro brochure is shown a silver oil bottle with cap stamped "Parker Reproduction". These were standard accessories with at least the high grade Repros and available by special order on the others. All Repros to my understanding came cased with Parker Reproduction stamped snap caps, as mine did in 1987 when I bought it new. I understand that sometimes the so stamped oil bottles or snap caps can be picked up.

I am not aware of any marked cleaning rods.

During the 1980's and 90's, a shooting buddy, Dave Parker, imported about 60 sterling silver square oil bottles from England stamped on the cap Parker Bros, and sold them for $45 each. He advertised them in the Double Gun Journal when it started and then later in the PP's, and it took him quite a few years to sell them. I have one if anybody needs photos, and should have bought more. I have not seen one publicly available in years.

Paul Ehlers
05-15-2010, 09:09 AM
As far as I know the cleaning rod & oil bottle were add-ons for the DHE guns. Cape outfitters had several accessory kits (bottle, cleaning rod, mops & brushes) which they offered for years after the close out days. As I remember it they were selling these kits for $110.00 and had a tough time moving them. You did have to watch them though some of them had Parker Reproduction Stamped on the cap of the oil bottle and some didn't. I suspect they ran out of the oil bottles and added a plain bottle to try and sell the overstocked cleaning rod kits.

It took me a few years but I finally put together full sets for all of my repro's.

Dave Fuller
05-15-2010, 09:52 AM
I bought two new DHEs during the closeout period, no oil bottles, no rods.

anthony schembri
05-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi
I just got a parker repro-28 gauge, 28 inch barrels, S/G English forearm.
I am looking for an oiler and a cleaning rod-can anybody help
anthony
PS its a beauty!

Dave Fuller
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Jeff's Outfitters has very nice gun case accessories.

Richard Flanders
05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Wasn't that long ago that Jeffs had Parker snap caps for sale. Buyer beware; I have a Parker snap cap that is oversized and will only fit in my Remington hammer gun that has chambers .010" larger than any Parker I own.

Jack Cronkhite
05-15-2010, 10:54 PM
... I have one if anybody needs photos...

Bruce: I would like to see a picture of that. I'm in the process of building a rosewood box for the cleaning rod that was recently built for me. I will build in some compartments for accessories as well. Thinking I might do some inlay, carving or burning on the lid "Reserved for Parkers Only".

Cheers,
Jack

anthony schembri
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
thank you

Bill Murphy
05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
The sellers of the closeout Repros promised snap caps and cases. Guns Unlimited came through on their promise and sent both a few weeks after they sent my gun. Oil bottles were once sold by Don Shrum at Cape Outfitters. I bought my oil bottle from Mrs. Shrum at the first PGCA meeting in Nashville. The rods are not Repro parts but are probably available from Jeff's Outfitters ($39.95, two piece rosewood) and others. Parker-Hale rods are nice in Repro cases also.

Kenny Graft
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
It would be nice to know who supplied the cleaning sets? Maybe they still have some or still offer them? May have been Emembi who made the cases in Italy??? I own one set of rods 20ga. with brush set and about three oil bottles. Cleaning sets are scarce at best. They are not marked and you will have to know exactly what they look like to I.D. them. Ebay sells lots of misl. unknown stuff. I still need owner books for a couple of my sets. thanks all kenny graft SXS ohio....(-:

Dave Suponski
05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Kenny,I have an extra owners manual in mint condition. PM me.

allen newell
12-17-2021, 09:51 PM
One of my 20 ga Repros came with oil can and cleaning rids. Haven't used either of them. But they do look nice in the leather case!

Scott Gentry
12-17-2021, 10:21 PM
This is how I got mine( basically Unfired) with all the accessories. Lovely set.

allen newell
12-17-2021, 10:26 PM
Looks like mine

Kevin McCormack
12-18-2021, 07:54 PM
About the time the Parker Repro "blowouts" were occurring and the remaining inventory was being sold off by various dealers, a very small but quite high end shop in mid-town Manhattan called Crossroads of Sport offered rosewood ($45) or real ebony ($70) cleaning rods, and square oil cans ($45) and round screw-top.grease pots for $40. I purchased several oil cans and at least 2 grease pots from them; they were the real deal marked "England" or "Made in England" on the bottom. When his supply ran out, I called him to ask about resupply. He said he wasn't going to do it; you had to order a minimum lot of 24 at a time with no discount for multiple lots. Then the shipping from the UK killed the deal; a real downer as the guy (I forget his name) went out of business about a year and a half later. Good quality stuff that you pay an arm and a leg for anymore; its a shame. I believe Marvin Huey still carries them.