PDA

View Full Version : Swapping stocks

Fred Lowe
05-12-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a single trigger 28 repro with very nice wood(feather crotch), I also have a double trigger repro with OK wood(straight ribbon). It seems that I have heard they cannot easily be switched. Is that so?
Both splinter, both 28 ga.
I have never attempted to take any of my Repro's apart because I don't want to mess screws up.

Advice please?

Richard Skeuse
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Fred the two stocks have different areas of wood cut out under the trigger guard and different configurations inside.They are not interchangeable and will not work correctly if you try to do it,thes screwing up both stocks. Try a sotckmaker.

Fred Lowe
05-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you Richard. I'm sure you wouldn't remember, but we spoke 10-12 years ago about a different 28ga. Repro. that needed some stock work. At that time I had Dave Wolfe handle it on your recommendation. Is he still doing things? Is swapping stocks something I just shouldn't do?

Richard Skeuse
05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Fred Dave Wolf is still making and fixing stocks. He is at 1142 Surrey Ridge Waco ,Tx 76706. Phone is 254 -662-6431. Tell him I said Hi thanks

Harry Collins
05-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Fred,

I would leave them alone.

Kindest, Harry

Dean Romig
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Fred, it is my experience (because I have done it) that a stock from a Repro with a single trigger can be put on a Repro of like frame size that has double triggers but this procedure eliminates the safety mechanism. I did this to my wife's gun but the fact that it will only ever be used as a target gun as long as she owns it and I'm OK with that. When it comes time to sell it I will put the original stock and safety mechanism back on.
The reverse, however, is not possible because a significant amount of wood will need to be removed to allow for the single trigger/safety mechanism and should only be done by an expert.

Fred Lowe
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Thank you all.

I have been accused of many things, especially not listening. But in past few years I have learned to take advice from those that know more than me.

Just ask my wife!!:shock: