PDA

View Full Version : 10 Ga GH Pattern

bobutler
02-11-2016, 11:41 PM
Would someone be so kind as to identify the pattern of this barrel?

Thanks

Bo Butler

Dean Romig
02-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Looks to be 3-iron Turkish Star Damascus.

By the way, it's beautiful!

bobutler
02-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Thanks Dean. I just got the barrels back from Brad. When I bought it last year, the barrels had been blued - no sign of the pattern underneath. He did a great job, but I forgot to ask him anything about the pattern. Appreciate your response.

Bo

John Dallas
02-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Looks pretty snazzy for a G grade. I hope that the G I have with Brad turns out half as well

Bruce Day
02-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Turkish Star Damascus, as stated by Dean.

Congratulations. Your GH departs from the norm with much nicer Damascus. Turkish Star Damascus is uncommon, likely rare , in Parkers and when seen, is usually in higher grade guns.

When barrels are blued, obviously it's a gamble what will be under the bluing. I believe that Parker originally blued some G grade barrels that have significantly mismatched segments.

Here is a 20 ga CHE with Turkish Star.

bobutler
02-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Thanks Bruce. Pretty sure this was done after the fact - they actually buffed out "Damascus" on the rib when they blued it, and Brad re-engraved for me. I think I remember reading that when fluid barrels were introduced, gun owners really de-valued damascus to the point that they would cover it up. Looks like that could have happened in this case.

The case color was done pretty well - not gaudy at all. I was hoping the barrels would turn out well. Thanks for your response. Wonderful 20 you have.

Bo

Bruce Day
02-12-2016, 11:21 AM
And Turkish Star in an AHE 16

Bo in the case of your gun, I think the bluing was done to hide the fact they are Damascus barrels by a later unscrupulous seller. In the case of used cars, horses , guns and dating, it's buyer beware.

Brad Bachelder does a fine job with barrel re-browning and charcoal case colors, I think largely indistinguishable from original Parker colors.

bobutler
02-12-2016, 01:41 PM
So I'm guessing the barrels on this DH 20 GA would be Turkish Star as well?

Steve Huffman
02-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Bo, Nice gun ! Just wondering who did the colors for the gun ? Also I am just wondering why if someone went through the restoration I see that was done with your gun why not make the screws and roll pin correct ? Im not dissing anything just asking.

bobutler
02-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Steve:
I agree with your comments. I bought this gun last year with re-done case colors and the blued barrels from a guy in Alabama through a dealer friend. No idea of the history though. I just thought having Bachelder work on the barrels would round the gun out. The wood around the metal is oil soaked and a little proud. I plan on shooting it and can work on screw timing along the way, but really doesn't bother me at this point.

Bo