PDA

View Full Version : 1930 Parker Guns Catalogue Real or Reprint?

SusanSwan
02-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Good Day Everyone,
I had a 1930 Parker catalogue listed on eBay until Mr. Purcell and another kind eBay member questioned the validity of my "original" claim.

The background to this catalogue is that it was found stored in a photo album in a box that was salvaged from my parent's acreage in Alberta, Canada after the 2013 flood. Along with this catalogue, there is another for Ithaca Guns dated 1915 as well as various other catalogues and books related to guns such as 1969 Herter's, 1965 Gunner's Bible, 1960's Lyman Reloader Manual (missing cover), Gun Trader's Guide 14th Edition, (1990), Brownwells Inc. Catalogue 1981, etc.

I know nothing about guns. Neither do my elderly parents. These books were not theirs. They let people store stuff at their acreage in perpetuity, and most people either forgot they had stuff there, didn't care about it anymore, or died. Think of abandoned storage lockers except no formal arrangement and no payment required.

Anyway, the point of this long-winded personal history diatribe is that I am trying to sell off a lot of this stuff for my parents, and I don't want to misrepresent anything. So, can anyone help me out with identifying the year this probable re-print catalogue was produced as well as a possible asking price for it? After reading through this thread last night, I am pretty sure it is not original as I first thought. Thank-you, Susan

PS - I compressed pictures for upload...hope they are view-able to all.

SusanSwan
02-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Ooops! Sorry...I meant Mr. Purtill!

Bill Murphy
02-10-2016, 03:54 PM
High quality reprints of the 1930 catalog such as your usually sell for about $15. That is not to say that some of the other items you have found are not quite a bit more valuable.

SusanSwan
02-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Thank you. That's good to know. This is a very informative site.

George M. Purtill
02-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Susan I am glad you took the time to inquire. Members such as Bill are quite knowledgeable and have seen a lot more paper than I.

James J. Roberts
02-10-2016, 07:23 PM
I would like to get a close look with magnification to study the page's for type impressions that may tell if these catalogs are the really deal.Believe they were printed on letterpress if there from back in the day 1920 & 1930's J.J.

SusanSwan
02-10-2016, 08:00 PM
:-)

SusanSwan
02-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Susan I am glad you took the time to inquire. Members such as Bill are quite knowledgeable and have seen a lot more paper than I.

Thank you for giving me the good advice to ask around here!

SusanSwan
02-10-2016, 08:10 PM
I would like to get a close look with magnification to study the page's for type impressions that may tell if these catalogs are the really deal.Believe they were printed on letterpress if there from back in the day 1920 & 1930's J.J.
You are building my hopes up again! Do you authenticate often? How would that work?

James J. Roberts
02-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Susan,If you hold a page of the catalog on an angle look for impressions from type if there is the catalog was printed on a letterpress,the staple do they show any rust or any stain on the page around them?Any reprints are done on an offset press,your catalog looks to be in mint maybe because it not exposed to light. J.J.