PDA

View Full Version : New Fly Rod

Dave Fuller
05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
This time of year thoughts may turn from the gun to the rod (in my case at least). Since fly rods, especially bamboo fly rods, have always been fair game here, I made a short album illustrating the construction of a new 5 weight that I just finished.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=124

Larry Frey
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Dave,
Very interesting, thanks for the photo demonstration of your considerable skills.

Marc Retallack
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Dave

Thank you for posting that album. That 5wt looks as though it would be about perfect for dropping small hoppers on the Letort this summer;). Is this a means of income or a sideline passion for you? Do you have a rough idea of the time involved to build a single rod? Thanks again.

Cheers
Marcus

Dean Romig
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Hope you don't mind me saying so but that doesn't look like a hobby... it looks like you're set up quite nicely for a very moderate pruduction run. Very nice indeed! Thank you for the album.

Will you start resin impregnation soon?

Mike McKinney
05-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Great pictures and a great rod. Hope you enjoy it. I look forward to hearing and seeing more.
Thanks,
Mike

Dave Fuller
05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Marc - Its a hobby for me but I have an acquaintance who does it for a living. I do most of my work in my garage but I go down to his shop (50 miles from home) when I get in a pinch. If you have all your tools ready to go you can make a rod in 40 hours. Like many building projects, a lot of the time is setting up tools.

Dean - I own some impregnated rods and like them but the best rods are dipped in my humble opinion.

Jay Gardner
05-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Dave,

Beautiful work but knowing what you are capable of I am not surprised. What taper did you build? 7'6" 5-wts are extremely versatile rods.

Tight lines,

JDG

Dave Fuller
05-11-2010, 09:13 AM
It's a Daryll Whitehead taper There are so many 5 and 6 tapers out there it boggles the mind. 5 and 6 are the real sweet spot for bamboo.

Bruce Day
05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Very nice Dave. Patience and craftsmanship.

I suspect with that demonstrated skill, you have ample abilities to restore a neglected Parker as well. I recently acquired a restored 9' 6/7wt Goodwin Granger. My buddy Charlie Herzog just got a nice old 8' 5wt Leonard.

Maybe a bunch of us could do Parkers and bamboo in some place like say Montana or Wyoming some time.

Dave Fuller
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
A Paker/Bamboo Cast-n-Blast... now that is right in my wheelhouse. I know guys who have shot ducks while fly fishing on the Bighorn. There are some good pheasant spots along the John Day out here, if you timed it right you might even have some steelhead to go with those roosters. This is a really good idea Bruce. We should pull together a few ideas and get something on the calendar.

Dave Fuller
05-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I would also point out to the bamboo rod folks that the Metolius Bamboo Rod and Fly Fishing Fair will be held Saturday & Sunday, July 17 & 18, 2010 in Camp Sherman, OR. This is just up the road from Keith Kearchers place and right next to the epic Metolius River. That time of year, nice summer mountain weather is all but guaranteed . Visitors can talk with bamboo rod builders, view examples of their work, and have the opportunity to cast a couple hundred bamboo rods. New and old rods are available for purchase at the show, or you can special order one from a builder. Contact: Camp Sherman Store, 541-595-6711 or e-mail: roger@campshermanstore.com.

Marc Retallack
05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks Dave. I always enjoy your posts of the different projects you do. This one just really struck a chord.

BTW-I pulled ten or so 5"x5" white oak posts from a home I was working in last year. I'm guessing it has to be close to 200 yrs old as the home was built in 1850. I think after being ripped down and planed, it will make a nice gun stand along the lines of the one you have posted pics of.

Cheers
Marcus

Richard Flanders
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Now THAT sounds like real fun Dave. Lon Morris has threatened a Big Horn castn'blast for the past couple of years.... where is Lon anyway???

Matt Grunzweig
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for sharing! Great way for expressing your craftsmanship!