PDA

View Full Version : Original Pine Cone?

Robert Aiken
01-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I need help with a catalog I found, the cover is tan brown the " the parker gun" is in red same color as the pine cones, the cover and back is a leather like texture paper. held together with 2 staples. I am not sure if it is original or a copy it came from the estate of a well known old gunsmith here in utah came in a box of odds and ends. I am looking for someone here in salt lake city that can authenticate it.
Does anyone know of anyone here in slc,ut that can look at it for me?
Thanks in advance:bowdown:

Dean Romig
01-27-2016, 03:47 PM
The kind of staples used will usually tell if it is original or reproduced more recently.

George M. Purtill
01-27-2016, 03:51 PM
I seem to recall that one being reproduced. Post a picture.
If it looks in perfect shape its probably not real.

Bill Murphy
01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Post a picture. Describing color in an internet post just doesn't work.

Robert Aiken
01-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Ok posted some pics check them out in the albums.. Robert Aiken

Dean Romig
01-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Where...?

Robert Aiken
01-27-2016, 07:39 PM
I think I found the answer to my question billy gross's album of his pine cone shows the image on the front cover as pressed through the front page and you can see the image on the inside front page. My catalog you can only see that the paper is textured and Billy's looks to have different staples then mine...
Everyone should be able to see my album

Dean Romig
01-27-2016, 07:44 PM
The staples look to be of the more modern variety and I would expect to see a bit of rust staining where the staple is in direct contact with the paper... but I'm no expert on Parker paper.

Erick Dorr
01-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Looks like one recently yanked off Ebay. I think you have correctly answered your own question.
Erick

Billy Gross
01-27-2016, 11:35 PM
If you look carefully at the pictures of the Pine Cone Catalog that I posted, you will see that it is not bound with staples, but with string. I think that is a real tell that it is original. For future reference, does anyone know when the original catalogs switched to staples? Thanx, Billy

Robert Aiken
01-28-2016, 08:46 AM
I got the catalog with some other gun books from an estate sale of gunsmith Ted Blackburn here in Utah the catalog along with the other items were covered in dust it does look old. Is there other issues that are stapled and not held with string. I'm not trying to make money on the item just curios if it's original. I actually put it on eBay for 9.00 without doing any research on it then someone messaged me asking if it was original or not so I ended the listing until I authenticate it.

James J. Roberts
01-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Robert,I wonder if these catalogs were printed on letterpress or offset press's,if anyone with an original could look at a page and see if there is a heavy impression on the paper from the type that would be a glue that it printed on a letterpress. J.J.

Bill Murphy
01-28-2016, 11:23 AM
It is one of the "yellow" cover reproductions. The originals were brown, dark green, and grey. The pictures of the Pine Cones in TPS show the colors clearly.

Craig Larter
01-28-2016, 01:28 PM
I have an original grey and an original brown Pine Cone Catalog. Both have a single staple centered and both have a sting that binds the catalog in three places. The brown catalog has a brown string and the grey catalog has a light grey string. (I would guess the green Pine Cone has a greenish colored binding string)
The Flying goose (duck) catalog has two staples and a binding string same as the Pine Cone Catalog but heavier (thicker) and tan in color. We know the Flying Goose Catalog is later than any of the Pine Cones.
The catalog pictures you posted in albums is new reproduction.

Bill Murphy
01-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Billy Gross' catalog is a rare original grey. I have found one in fifty years of collecting and have not found one in high condition.

Craig Larter
01-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Bill Gross sold me a very nice Grey Pine Cone Catalog at last years Southern.

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-08-2016, 08:44 AM
Where are the photos? gary

Robert Aiken
02-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Photos of mine are in "all albums" at the top of the page...