PDA

View Full Version : old ammo patterns

charlie cleveland
05-09-2010, 08:39 PM
i have been testing some old remington 12 ga. shells that were made some were in the early 50 s they are rem. extra long range loads.3 3/4 1 1/4 oz loads. i shot them at 40 yards 30 inch circle.the shells were fired in a american arms 12 ga with 32 in. barrels full full chokes. this was aamerican made gun. the other gun used was a model 12 winchester.with a extra full comps choke.i for got to say these were no. 4 chilled shot. the shells gave very poor patterns there were gapping holes in patterns. a turkeys head could have been missed at40 yards with these loads.the patterns were very poor.so if iwere some of you turkey hunters out there shooting some of your vintage ammo .. i would patter it before going to the woods. charlie

Richard Flanders
05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks Charlie. I have a lot of that Remington Xtra Long Range ammo in 20, 12, and 10ga on the shelf.

calvin humburg
05-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Years back I bought a rem unc model 11 decided to shoot an old paper shell at a turkey, winchester super speed 5c looked good. Pulled trigger click I still got the shell with a dented primer. ch

Destry L. Hoffard
05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I've had good luck with the later Super Speed stuff but much earlier than that and you're risking a blooper. If it's roll crimped Winchester, then look for the ones with the shot size printed on the case wall and not on the overshot card. Seems like this type are new enough they still go boom on a regular basis.

DLH

calvin humburg
05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Yup, shot size on over shot wad. ch

Destry L. Hoffard
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Flanders has good luck shooting some of the more ancient ammo though so you never know. On anything but a turkey it's worth the risk but for a one shot deal like that I think I'd use new shells. *wink*

Destry