PDA

View Full Version : Parker Girl (new member) with single barrel trap gun

Jen Fischler
01-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Hello,

I recently acquired a Parker single barrel trap gun, 12g, 32" #229337.

Looking for additional information on my new find to confirm if this is a C or A grade, believe it is a C based on some other pictures posted on the forum. I did a serial number check and it didn't have any results.

Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated!

I have more photos I can attach.

Thank you,
Jen

Randy Davis
01-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Jen, looks to be a C grade SBT... Congrats on your find.

Trap3

Jen Fischler
01-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Thank you!

Chuck Bishop
01-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Please show us more pictures especially all three sides of the receiver and the butt stock and Forend so we can see if it's all original. My SC is in the 228K range so it is slightly older than yours. Congratulations!

Dave Suponski
01-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Jen... Congratulations on a great gun. In fact I shot my SC single trap yesterday! And yes as previously stated your gun is a C Grade.

Jen Fischler
01-18-2016, 09:30 PM
More pics coming

Jen Fischler
01-18-2016, 09:36 PM
More pics for you.

Jen Fischler
01-18-2016, 09:39 PM
More coming

Jen Fischler
01-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Let me know if you want to see more.

Frank Cronin
01-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Welcome Jen!

Your SC looks to be in very nice original condition that I can see on my computer.

Tell us how you got interested in a Parker and how does it shoot?

Jen Fischler
01-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Hello All,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have a few more pics I'll post tomorrow and tell you how I got interested in Parker Guns.

Need to head to bed - 5:00 am alarm for work comes quick...

Have a good night.
Jen

Mills Morrison
01-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Good looking gun.

Bill Murphy
01-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Your SC Grade Parker looks to be in very good original condition, even down to the recoil pad.

Chuck Bishop
01-19-2016, 10:30 AM
Jen, it's a great looking gun in original condition. Are you a trapshooter? If so, be prepared to have people come up to you and want to know all about it.

Unfortunately your S/N is in one of the missing stock books so we have no information on the gun.

Please check for cracks in the wood especially where the forend wood meets the forend iron and where the head of the buttstock meets the receiver. If you see any cracks, have them repaired. The only thing you didn't mention is the barrel length. 32" was the most popular length. Also, most SBT's were choked full.

Good shooting to you!

Mike Franzen
01-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Nice gun Jen! Thank you for posting it here. Hope you'll stop back often and let us know more. The SBT was one one of my dream guns to own. I have a first year model with 32" bbl. your gun if all original is quite a find. We're all very interested to hear how you came to be its caretaker.

Mark Riessen
01-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Nice ........REAL NICE !! I have a Remington era SBT similar to yours. I shoot it more than all my other Parkers combined. It is a thrill to shoot every time out. Take it out and use it alot, .....you won't be disappointed. Mark

Richard White
01-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Chuck, Jen says it's a 32" bbl. in her original post.

Jen Fischler
01-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Hello All!

Thank you all for the comments, she is pretty and in very good condition no cracks only a few scratches in the stock. Barrel is 32" and in good shape only a little rubbing from the forearm when we took it off to check it out - even the ivory sights on the rail look new...

So here is my story and how I came to the world of Parker guns.

I come from a outdoor family, both my grandfathers and father were hunters, fish, boaters and campers so I grew up with exposure to this world. My dad's father did competition shooting (trap & sporting clay) I have his medals in a box he built to display them - very cool!

I am a avid shooter; I don't hunt live game but but enjoy sporting clay and trap, my true forte is handguns and rifle shooting vs. long guns. I have yet to master the gun that is almost as tall as me :)

This is actually my second Parker gun; I am a very lucky girl with a great guy who gave me both of my Parker's as gifts. The other is a shotgun serial number #124552, VH hammerless - 12g 30" barrel (Vulcan steel).

As a x-mas gift this year he purchased a membership for me and had a research letter requested... The story of the gun history is very interesting.

It was an very thoughtful gift that I really cherish and that is how I became a Parker girl.

I am amazed by the craftsmanship of the Parker guns, the beautiful wood, metal work and the engraving on some of the guns is ineradicable to say the least.

We found the SBT in one of our favorite small town out in the middle of no where gun shops that get in consignment items, often they are rare bears and odd duck guns but great finds at the right time! The owner is a odd man (no offense) who kind of lights up when I walk in the shop (I know what you are thinking, he sees $$).
Anyway I was looking for a over/under or side by side and it was mentioned I have a Parker, he said "I have something for you to look at" with a wink and that is the story of how my SBT came into my life.

Hope to shoot it this spring after we come out of the deep freeze we are in at this time. Yes I'm a girl the under 20 degree weather is too much for me.

Take care! :bigbye:
Jen

Dean Romig
01-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Good to meet you Jen - that's a nice bio on both the guns and yourself. Welcome to the PGCA.

Erick Dorr
01-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Jen Welcome. Good intro story and you made a wise choice with this SBT.
Erick

Mike Franzen
01-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Jen you have piqued my interest with your comment, "The gun history is very interesting". If you don't mind would you share what that history is? Probably, next best thing to owning a Parker is owning a Parker with documented "Interesting History". SBT's were pretty expensive back in the day and not everyone could afford such a luxury. I'm sure your two Parkers are very happy that you have joined the PGCA and are sharing their story.

Jen Fischler
01-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Hi Mike,

The history I have is on the VH hammerless gun, unfortunately the SBT has no records.

The shotgun was ordered by the Powell & Clement Co. of Cincinnati OH on August 29, 1904 and shipped on September 2, 1904. The paid $50.00. It was returned on November 7, 1904 to bore the right hand barrel cylinder.

Did a google search on the company which started as Powell & Sons (they were gun makers 1850's) Clement later joined the company and they bought and sold other firearms. I found one of their catalogs on Ebay and it indeed listed Parker's.

Thanks for asking!

Jen Fischler
01-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Hello All,

Any suggestions on the best type of shells to use in the SBT?

Thank you,
Jen

Dave Suponski
01-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Jen, The breech end of the barrels are very thick. You can shoot whatever you are comfortable with. All SBT guns are chambered 2 3/4". Normally I would suggest having the barrel wall thickness checked but this gun looks unaltered so if it were my gun I wouldn't hesitate to shoot trap loads in it.

Jen Fischler
01-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Great thank you, appreciate the information.

Chuck Bishop
01-22-2016, 12:51 AM
If your shooting singles or short yardage handicap, I would recommend 1 oz. trap loads. Be kind to your shoulder and the wood on your gun.

William Davis
01-22-2016, 07:55 AM
I shoot my standard SxS sporting clays load for informal Trap in my SBT 7/8 oz # 7 1-2 at about 1150 FPS. Reloaded equlivent of B&P's Competition One. Low recoil and breaks targets fine.

I have used some Factory Handicap shells 1 1/8 oz it's a trap competition standard, too much recoil, but if competition probably the one to use . Choice depends on can you afford a lost target. If fun is the objective go light

William

Randy Davis
01-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Also I just purchased and shot some Herters Target LR (light recoil) 7 1/2. Worked great from the 16 to the 22yrd line. If available in your area you might give these a try...

RD

George Lander
01-31-2016, 11:56 PM
Hello Jen: RST make some great loads for you Parker Trap. They will probably be set up at the Southern this year as in years past.

Best Regards & Congratulations on your Parker.....George

Mike Franzen
02-01-2016, 02:52 AM
Hey Jen, I live in the Greater Cincinnati area and this seems to have been sort of a hot bed for Parker activity back in the day. Arthur DuBray lived next door in Newport KY and sold many Parkers to the local gentry. I haven't heard of your guns company before but if I come across any info pertaining to it I'll pass it on. I have an SBT an it handles anything I put in it. You will never go wrong using the RST loads should you decide to order some.

Jeff Christie
02-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Polywad makes some very fine light loads for vintage guns as well. I have used them for years and never had a disappointing experience.

todd allen
03-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Jen, shoot the lightest load you feel confident with, as long as it is a light load.
1 oz of 8's at the mid 1100 fps range should do it. Try 7/8 oz at 16 yds.

Jen Fischler
07-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Hello all,

Just wanted to give an update to those who were kind enough to post on my thread - I finally had the opportunity to enjoy my SBT.

What an enjoyable experience, I used a light Winchester load and had a great time. Need more practice to get the sight alignment down, I seemed to be a tich low on some of the birds - but as with anything with more practice it should improve.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!