PDA

View Full Version : Parker Checkering

Jerry Andrews
05-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the help all, on the thread about the Parker hinge pin, most appreciated.
This deals with the Parker style checkering. I know the border has a specific name. It's concave in the middle and wider to accommodate the border. Does anyone know how Parker did that? I just finished a 16 ga. VH, and I figured out how to do it, but man it beat me up to make it look factory. Being anal retentive as I am about detail made me stand on my head to make it look correct. Did Parker have a special tool? I cut the border twice, extremely light the second time as to only score a line, then using the middle line to guide the concave tool. You can imagine the work behind this to make it look right. Must be an easier way. If there's not, I'm content with this method, it just takes forever! Jake ( Jerry )

Jim Williams
05-03-2010, 02:15 AM
It's called a "mullered" border - two border lines with a concave "ditch" in between. My mullering tools are round needle files that have been heated near the tip and bent to a slight (10 or 15 deg) angle, then the very tip has been ground off at an angle to give it a sharp point to dig in and start the path for the file to follow.

Jim

Jerry Andrews
05-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jim, much appreciated, Jerry

Pat Dugan
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
If you have a way to post pictures of your tools, it would be great. I have a Parker repro that has been mullered, but needs more work.

Thanks

PDD