PDA

View Full Version : Patern testing of repro's

Kenny Graft
04-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Well its time to get at it...I aquired a steel backstop about 4'X5' 1/4" thick. Some use white greece and some use white paint between shots. Anyone know the better of the two? I will need to buy some materials for this project. Also I was concerned about lead shot ricochet or boomerang effect? Some will be hard shot, but no steel shot will be tested. Should the steel plate have a tilt so pellets ricochet down into the dirt? I plan to shoot light to heavy loads from 25,30,40 yards. in all gauges. Im want to get a better idea about the factory chokes of the my Parker repro's. Particularly the 28 and 20 Full chokes that are so tight. Any info would be mutch appreciated. thanks all, Kenny Graft SXS ohio...(-:
'

Bill Murphy
04-27-2010, 08:10 AM
At the two clubs where we use steel plates for patterning, we don't bother to tilt the face. It just doesn't seem to be a problem.

Peter Clark
04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
One thing I have learned "patterning" my 20 ga repro on ducks is that using the 28" M/F barrels is rather destructive over decoys. I shoot it well and will probably use the 26" IC/M from now on. I have used my 28 ga repro on ducks with the 28" M/F barrels with far less damage probably due to skimpier load. I especially do not recommend 3" 20 ga. loads, bismuth or otherwise, on ducks over decoys with M/F barrels unless duck burger is the objective. I tried it a few times with those very results.
I will be curious to see more scientific results you come up with.
-plc-

Harry Collins
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Kenny,

I like white wash. It is hard for me to see the pattern in greese. When I was using a try gun in England, the steel plate was about eight to ten feet in the air. There was a five gallon or English equivilant of white paint they would roll on the steel plate before each shot. Very easy to see. Oh, the plate was not at an angle.

Harry

Bill Anderson
04-27-2010, 09:56 PM
A few years ago I built a patterning stand using two 2x4s, two pieces of 3/4" plywood 12" x 30" and a couple of broom handles. I built a large "window blind" affair using a roll of 30" butchers paper spooled on the top broom handle down through an opening between the pieces of plywood spaced 30" apart and then spooled onto another broom handle at the bottom of the patterning stand. After each shot I would write shot size, load size, gauge, distance, etc. on the pattern I just shot and then I would simply roll the paper 30" or so and have another target ready for the next pattern test. If you want a back stop just use solid piece of wood behind the roll.
This way you have a physical record of your testing and a lot less messy than shooting grease or paint board. In fact you can take the roll back to the house and do pellet count , review each pattern many times and keep to show your other hunting friends. I think I paid $25 for a hundered foot roll of paper and I scrouged the rest of the materials from family members.

Dean Romig
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Wear eye protection when using the steel plate. When I shoot pistols at steel plate targets at 25 yds my knuckles and forehead get a bit bloodied from time to time from the splattered .38 wadcutter lead bullets. You'll be okay with anything but steel shotgun ammo.

Kenny Graft
04-30-2010, 07:01 AM
I will try the white wash first.....I also like the roll paper idea as well. About 30 targets to a roll, could do all the loads and read them later in the day...(-: A few years back I was testing on paper a Fox 16ga. A 30" target at 40 yards from a rest. Testing 6#,7 1/2 shot from Rem,Win,Fiocchi all did similar paterns but the Noble Sports hunting load had way more hits in the target? I cut all the brands apart and found the nobles have a wad cup with no finger cuts in them? This held the shot charge together longer! Anyone hunting turkeys with a 16 should use them. I also found out that fiocchi 410 3" shells have no shot cup...only a piston wad with no fingers...thats why my gun was so hard to kleen! scruba-dub-dub...(-: Its lots of fun to learn this stuff and shoot shoot the old ones! Can't weight to get my 1901 GH 16 back from the smith....thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio...(-:

Kenny Graft
05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I picked up some 2.00 a can white enamal spray paint...think this will work???

scott kittredge
05-02-2010, 05:44 PM
I picked up some 2.00 a can white enamal spray paint...think this will work???

that is how i did it, i hit each shot splatter with a blast of paint when counting hits than i spray the plate again for the next shot

Kenny Graft
05-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Scott thats great news.......I will be shooting the 28ga. M/F first. I will get a idea on how .038 of full choke works? Will start testing soon as the heavy rains we are now having in N.E. Ohio stop. thanks....(-:

Bill Murphy
05-03-2010, 01:03 PM
$2.00 spray paint is closer to water than paint. My landfill/transfer station has a paint recycling area. I wonder if they allow scavenging among the paint cans?

Dean Romig
05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Bill, you've always referred to yourself as a "bottom-feeder"... can we add "dump-picker" to your list of favored shopping methods?

Bill Murphy
05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Dean, I'll be checking out the transfer station this week.