PDA

View Full Version : Unweighed gobler falls to 11 year old boy shooting 57 year old pump gun

Peter Clark
04-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Sorry boys, no Parker again but just have to show my son Wyatt with his first ever turkey, called in by yours truly. As in another thread, no camo tape, no 3 1/2" shoulder breakers and no cammo underwear. Just a 16 ga M12 with a Cutts and the full choke tube throwing 1oz of #6 lead.
Proud Papa

Bill Davis
04-26-2010, 12:26 AM
A handsome lad for sure. Congratulations to Wyatt!!

Dean Romig
04-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Nice going Wyatt! That is one very nice gobbler and a great looking model 12.

Dave Suponski
04-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Congratulations Wyatt! It's great seeing the youngsters"Out doing it"...A day he will always remember...

calvin humburg
04-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Good job Pete! Nice looken boy with a nice hair cut. ch

Destry L. Hoffard
04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice work!

Francis Morin
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Nice trophy bird, and a stout lad indeed to hold him by the legs for the foto. Not a 16 ga. man for big birds, but sure do love the old M12's, and the full choke tube and No. 6 shot was a deadly choice- How close and was it a fatal head shot that did Mr. Strut My Stuff in?

Also noticed in both fotos- muzzle pointed skyward, also the action slide was open. Start them with good gun safety, just like the Duke of Earl did with his "If a sportsman true you'd be, listen my son to me"-- Congrats!

Peter Clark
04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Yes, it was a head shot. About 25yds. Bird came in readily. I couldn't see it because I was calling about 10 yds behind my son in a spot where I didn't have a clear view. Wyatt said he would run about 20 yds and stop gobble and strut several times while he could see him. I really enjoy calling birds for folks. Haven't shot one myself for about 10 years. Always too busy farming when the time is right. Had to make time for Wyatt though.
As for the safe muzzel direction, I teach hunter ed here in Colorado. We really harp on muzzle control etc.

Bill Murphy
05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Wyatt, I have shot Cutts Compensator guns for fifty years, have a bunch of them in my collection. Occasionally, the tight choke tubes will throw a pattern a bit off from center. At 25 yards, your pattern from the full choke tube is about the size of a saucer. It must be centered for head shooting of gobblers. Beg Dad for a handful of shells for you to shoot at a stationary target to make sure that your gun is shooting at dead center on your target. Use only the chokes that you have tested on paper targets. Good luck on your next hunt and congratulations on your success. By the way, the action slide is not open. Open that action when not hunting.

Peter Clark
05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks Bill, I will pass this info on to Wyatt. When we hunt ducks he has had his best success with the spreader tube. We have not patterned any of the tubes but will this summer.
-plc-

Dave Miles
05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Congratulations to your Son and his first turkey.
Looks like you might be in prairie dog country.
How's the dog shooting out your way?

Peter Clark
05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Dave,
In our area we have the Gunnison prarie dog which doesn't characteristically live in large colonies. They are still a pain in the butt if you have them, and fortunately we don't. I haven't ever tried to locate a shootable town but I know they are around. Eastern Colorado is a different story. When we go out there to hunt doves we always take some .22s and shoot dogs. They have a different type (black tailed) that live in large towns. If p dogs ever show up on our place you and all your friends are welcome to come exterminate them.