PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a vintage advertisement: "Opportunity" (?)

John E. Williams
10-10-2015, 02:21 PM
From my youth, I remember seeing this old advertisement and after several years of actively looking around gun shows and the internet, have found not a single example or even a reference to it. Maybe you guys can help?

As I recall, it featured an older man in approximately 1900-period hunting clothes (brown trousers, old baggy brown hunting coat, and a brown cap with a bill, and I'm thinking the ear flaps that pulled up and tied across the top), sitting on a log in the open woods eating lunch. There was an old liver or black spotted pointer-type dog to the viewer's left. The man was whirling around to his left with a broken down double in one hand and two red shotgun shells in his right, staring open-mouthed at the squirrel running along a downed tree or wood fence rail behind him. His sandwich was either falling or may have already been on the ground but as all this was happening, the dog had just crept in and mouthed what appeared to be some type of pie-half component of the man's lunch, with his eyes clearly locked on the back of the man's head. I've always remembered this image having the simple title of "Opportunity" lettered at the bottom. Unfortunately, I can't remember what this was an ad for, but I'm thinking it was either shells or one of the American double guns. Has anyone else seen this and if so, any clue where one could be purchased? Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave Noreen
10-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Sounds like you are thinking of this 1931 U.S. Cartridge Co. calendar --

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Ansleyone/U%20S%20Cartridge%20Co/1931%20Calander_zpsds6qxzu3.jpeg

A possible source would be to contact Ron Willoughby, (603) 787-2060.

Robin Lewis
10-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Wow, well done gentlemen! I am impressed with the accuracy of your memory.

Dean Romig
10-15-2015, 11:59 AM
The accuracy of "Researcher's" memory should come as no surprise... amazement maybe:shock:

I wonder if that was painted by WHF? It looks like his work.

Dave Noreen
10-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Good eye Dean. John Delph's book that I scanned the picture of the calendar from states the artist was William H. Foster.

Mills Morrison
10-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Amazing, the amount of knowledge on here.

Dave Tatman
10-15-2015, 05:37 PM
I agree, Mills! The quality and depth of things we learn and are exposed to you on these forums blow me away....

Great work, folks. As always!

Dave

John E. Williams
10-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks a bunch, Dave. That's the one! I'll give Ron a call in the next couple of days to see if a copy can be had.

James J. Roberts
10-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Art Wheaton wrote a wonderful article on artist William Harnden Foster in the Autumn 2015 Double Gun Journal about Mr.Foster's art and his Parker DHE 28 ga.,a must read. J.J.

John E. Williams
10-18-2015, 12:38 PM
a must read. J.J.

I'll second that. What a beautiful little Parker!