PDA

View Full Version : Fall Southern SXS Rules 2015

Mills Morrison
08-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Fall Southern Side By Side
Challenge Rules

Well folks, it’s almost that time again! The 2015 Southern SXS fall Classic is barely two months away and we thought it might be a good idea to refresh everyone’s memory regarding the new rules format that we introduced last year.

LC Smith vs Parker 5 Stand Challenge Event-

Qualifying- Qualifying for this event will take place between Thursday morning Oct. 23, and Saturday afternoon October 24th.
A qualifying venue 5 Stand will be set up in the same location as last year that you can shoot as many times as you desire, with your highest score being your qualifying attempt.

Team Make-Up- Team Parker and Team LC Smith will each consist of 2 squads of 5 shooters (10 persons total per team). One squad will consist of the 5 highest qualifying scores for each team, and it will be designated before consideration is given toward the make up of the second Concurrent Special Slot Squad for each team.

The Special Slot Squad for each team will consist of:

1) The Junior shooter ( 18 years old or younger) with the highest qualifying score.
2) The Lady shooter with the highest qualifying score.
3) The Senior shooter (At least 60 years old but less than 70) with the highest qualifying score.
4) The Super Senior shooter (70 years old or older) with the highest qualifying score.
5) One Wild Card Draw Shooter. This shooter will be chosen from all who attempted to qualify, but did not otherwise make their team. The name of the Wild Card Draw shooter will be randomly drawn from a hat by Rick Hemingway just prior to the shoot-off. In the event that the chosen candidate is unable to shoot for their team for any reason, Rick will pick an alternate whose qualifying score was equal to or less than the originally drawn name.

After the squad consisting of the 5 highest qualifying scores for each team has been designated, the Special Slot Squad will be designated. In the event that either team is unable to field any of the Special Slot Squad positions, Rick Hemingway will designate a shooter for that position whose qualifying score is either equal to or less than the qualifying score of the opposing teams properly filled position. Rick will make these decisions without input from either team.

Final Shoot-off- The final shoot-off for the 5 Stand Challenge Event will be at a time yet to be determined Saturday afternoon. Trophy’s will be distributed to the winning team immediately following the shoot-off.

Parker vs LC Smith Trap Challenge Event-

This event will be run exactly as last year. 50 target qualifier with winning team chosen by the top 5 highest qualifying scores from each team. There will not be a shoot-off for the Trap Challenge.

Qualifying -One can attempt to qualify as many times as desired, with your highest score being your qualifying attempt. Qualifying will begin Thursday morning, and conclude Saturday afternoon in conjunction with the end of qualifying for the 5 Stand Challenge event.

Lc Smith vs Parker Hammer-Gun Challenge Event- NEW THIS YEAR

This challenge event will be contested between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm on Sunday. The rules will be the same as for the Trap Challenge, except that there will only be 30 targets per qualifying attempt, and qualifying will take place with new targets on the 5-Stand challenge venue. The winning team and HOA shooter will be recognized at the General Awards Ceremony on Sunday afternoon.

Fees-

Target Fees- 5 Stand Challenge, 30 targets each, $15.00 per attempt, Thurs, Fri, Sat.
Hammer-Gun Challenge, 30 targets, $15.00 per attempt, Sunday only
Trap Challenge, 50 targets each, $25.00 per attempt., Thurs, Fri, Sat.

Event Entry/Trophy Fees- Each shooter must pay a single entry/trophy fee of $15.00 for each of the challenge events in which they participate. For example, if a shooter was to participate in both the Trap and 5-stand Challenges, they would have to pay a single entry fee of $30.00, regardless of how many times they attempted to qualify.

Sponsorships- As last year, we are gladly accepting Corporate Sponsorships of $50.00 each, and Individual Sponsorships of $25.00 each. If you care to participate, please make out your check to Backwoods Quail Club, and write 2015 Fall Classic Challenge Sponsorship on the Note line. Please mail your sponsorship check to:

Backwoods Quail Club
647 Hemingway Lane
Georgetown, SC 29440

Wishing everyone a safe trip, and lots of practice, before this great weekend!
See you in Georgetown!

John Truitt
08-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks Mills.

All looks great.

Go Team Parker!!!!!!!!!

Mills Morrison
08-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks John! Hope to see a lot of you all down there.

David Dwyer
08-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Mill
Great idea adding the Hammer Gun Event!
David

Mills Morrison
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Glad you approve David.

Guys, Notice there are special categories for shooters. We should have those categories covered, except for the youth category. Our regular youth shooters have graduated to adult. If you have a son or daughter below 18 that can shoot, bring them on and there is a good chance they will make the team - the winning team too, as Team Parker will clean up like we did last year.

John Liles
08-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Hope none of them Elsie guys see that!:) Course most of them Farmers are old and feeble, and prolly can't remember much past the last Spring Challenge event!

David Dwyer
08-13-2015, 07:12 AM
John
It was a pleasure to get to know you and your lovely daughter over dinner at Drakes. I expect the Elsie team will be be "tuned up" for this years Fall shoot off! Just bring plenty of "pie" so we can all celebrate whoever wins.:)
David

Daryl Corona
08-13-2015, 07:15 AM
John does make some good "pie".:whistle: Wish i could make it.

Mills Morrison
08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
This is a good article from Sporting Classics about the Fall Southern

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/issue/2015-1/article/the-southern-gun

Mills Morrison
09-14-2015, 03:33 PM
To the top on this.

Hope to see a bunch of you all there and hope to see some more lady and youth shooters.

John Dunkle
09-14-2015, 03:35 PM
"Pin to top" ;)

Mills Morrison
10-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Some news. We are altering the trap challenge to make it open to any classic American SXS or single barrel trap guns. This only affects the trap challenge. Hope this will encourage more of you guys and gals to come.

:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

American Classics Trap Challenge will be as follows:
-$25.00 Per Round of 50 Trap Targets
-Can be shot Friday or Saturday
-American manufacturers only
-May enter as many times as they would like...shooter can only place once in top 3 for each manufacturer
-Top THREE scores from each manufacturer will comprise a team
-Highest aggregate team score wins (Three identical trophies awarded)

John Campbell
10-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Mr. Morrison:
It may be too early to ask this, but is there any word as to how the recent foul weather/flooding may have effected Backwoods and the upcoming Southern?

Also access via Rte. 51...

Mills Morrison
10-06-2015, 03:07 PM
They were affected by the bad weather and suffered some damage, but they should be back up soon and in plenty of time for the Southern. That is what I hear. Access for those coming from out of town might be a different story, but probably a good idea to check for road closures before making the trip. It should be just a matter of a detour or two, in the worst case

David Dwyer
10-07-2015, 08:05 AM
The Black River will crest Fri-Sat so should recede well before the SXS. They have evacuated Kingstree just up river from Backwoods and asking anyone within a mile of the river to evacuate. I am driving up 51- 38 to 95 next Wednesday and will report any problems on that route. I think we will be fine .
David

John Truitt
10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Just spoke with Lauren at Backwoods Quail Club. They are open and faired the storm well without much trouble.

Currently she said some roads were closed but she felt confident there should be minimal issues come time for the Southern in two weeks.

I also called the Quality Inn in Georgetown and they stated they are open for business with no issues and the road in front of the hotel is open with no issues.

John Truitt
10-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Spoke to Rick Hemingway a few moments ago.
Backwoods is up and running with no issues.

Only issue is road access which is improving.

Rick is has no concerns for the shoot in a few weeks.

Mills Morrison
10-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Single barrel trap guns are also allowed. Thanks to Walter Snyder for pointing that out to me. Hopefully, we will see some good examples of single barrel trap guns!

David Dwyer
10-12-2015, 01:30 PM
I shot over at Backwoods this morning and it is in good condition. The rifle range is wet but the S C corse is great.
Doug just came home yesterday via 95 S to 38 to 501 then 51 to Backwoods and it was normal. The Black River is still high but receding with some bridges over it flooded.
Rt 41 and 51 over the Black south of Backwoods are closed.
David

Mills Morrison
10-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Well, if the water is receding, that is good news.

John Truitt
10-12-2015, 02:47 PM
That is great news David. Thanks for bird dogging this for us.

Everyone have safe travels and hope everyone can make it.

Go team Parker!!!!!!!

John Campbell
10-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Hmmmm. I hope 51 from Georgetown up to Backwoods will be open by next Friday. Otherwise, it's a long way around from Pawley's Island.

Mills Morrison
10-12-2015, 03:43 PM
We have two weeks, so hopefully it will be clear by then. Hopefully

David Dwyer
10-13-2015, 07:20 AM
Ken
You can continue up 701 and take a left on Choppee Rd ,right after you cross the Black, then left on 521 and you are there. Probably an extra 10 min.
David

Mills Morrison
10-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Hopefully, these road issues will work themselves out by next weekend. Thanks for keepin us posted, David

Mills Morrison
10-15-2015, 09:45 AM
For those concerned, the Fall Southern is on, despite the floods. Hope to see you all there! Check out article from Sporting Classics

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/issue/2015-1/article/side-by-siders-only-2

Carvel Whaley
10-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Is there going to be a pump gun event? Carvel

William Davis
10-16-2015, 07:19 AM
Carvel Yes 50 shots on Friday I hear but can't say for sure throwing triples. Not sure I can fit another gun in the cars trunk ! If you bring a pump will bring my Model 31 16G and pair up if you want.

When are you going to arrive ?

William

Carvel Whaley
10-16-2015, 08:50 PM
I will bring my model 12 and I plan on leaving on Wed. morning. Carvel

William Davis
10-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Ok Carvel the Pump goes in the car, will see how it does on Triples. Probably be arriving late on Wed, see you Thursday morning.

William