PDA

View Full Version : trojan 16 will not open after firing right barrel

jay frank dodd
08-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know what may cause my gun not too open? I had fired 12 rounds of trap fioochi 16 gauge no 8s.then the gun just will not open any suggestions. Thanks jay dodd .

David Noble
08-08-2015, 08:06 PM
A bit more info would be helpful. Does your top lever move fully? Does the action open at all or is it stuck solid?
If the top lever moves fully to the right then you can try holding it in the opening position and try bumping the the action against the top of your leg. Don't over do it here, you could break something. You could also try this with the forearm removed.
I'm sure others here will have some input also.
Good luck.

jay frank dodd
08-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks for quick response .yes lever moves too right. Safety resets.a little movement but tiny amount in barrels. And will not open no matter what I do for end off or on sprayed action with break free and down the barrel. Poked inside of empty she'll with a cleaning rod and nothing works.

Chuck Bishop
08-08-2015, 09:06 PM
I had a Parker where the safety reset rod was not original and it was a bit to long. It would not allow the bolt to fully clear the bite. Putting more pressure on the lever when to the right would allow the gun to open. Since the safety resets, it sounds like the bolt is retracting but maybe not fully. Do these Fiochi's have a steel rim? If so, try opening the gun while someone else uses a ramrod down the barrel, pushing hard against the empty shell. If you do get it open, try dry firing. If it works empty, it is p problem with the shells.

jay frank dodd
08-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Ok will give it a try thanks for responding.

Mike Koneski
08-09-2015, 01:24 PM
We have had issues over the years with various O/U guns locking up. The problem was the firing pins would hang up in the primer and not allow for the action to open. Happened a lot with the cheap Winchester Universal shells. I'd say any shell with a soft primer or an over long FP could do it. Same symptoms as your gun, top lever fully right and just a very small amount of movement when trying to open the action. I shoot a lot of Fiocchis and never had a problem, so, I'd say check your firing pins and even just shoot a few boxes of another brand of shell. Maybe your Fiocchis have a different primer for some reason?

jay frank dodd
08-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Hey thanks mike.i think you are exactly right .but my problem is I still can't get the gun to open and remove the empty she'll I've tried everything.there must be someway to get the firing pin pushed back but I have tried all suggestions.

allan.mclane
08-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Just a wild assed guess here but how about pouring some clean 30wt oil down the barrel and then follow with a tight patch and jag. Whack the end of the rod with a hammer and develop some hydraulic pressure. It might just work.

Robin Lewis
08-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Just a wild assed guess here but how about pouring some clean 30wt oil down the barrel and then follow with a tight patch and jag. Whack the end of the rod with a hammer and develop some hydraulic pressure. It might just work.
I would worry about soaking the wood with all that oil?

calvin humburg
08-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Can u get it open a little and use a feeler gauge or such get it between pin and shell head

David Noble
08-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Jay, do you have any of the fired shells to examine to see if the firing pin was dragging on the primer? It would be quite evident.

jay frank dodd
08-09-2015, 04:24 PM
It will not open enough . decided against pouring oil in it.a really appreciate all the help from you guys guess I'll be making a trip to the gunsmith.

jay frank dodd
08-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately I didn't look at or save any of the emptys

jay frank dodd
08-09-2015, 04:29 PM
By the way ch.thats a beutiful pointer ! On your member page. I'm a big fan of elhews.

allan.mclane
08-09-2015, 05:24 PM
I would worry about soaking the wood with all that oil?

Robin, I'm assuming that the oil would stay in the chamber and if the method was ineffective, just pour it back out the muzzle. If it does work and push the primer back a bit then open the action over a container to catch any oil and rinse any mess away with some light solvent.

Note, I didn't say it was necessarily a good idea!

edgarspencer
08-09-2015, 07:17 PM
My guess as to the cause, and opening has been covered. I believe it was Mike who suggested a hung up hammer** in a soft primer. It was also suggested that you bump the bottom of the receiver across your knee, and that's just what I did. It was a repetitive problem with a particular brand cartridge. Since I happen to like that cartridge, I took the hammers out and dressed the firing pin to a more rounded profile, and have never had the issue since.
** for those not aware, the hammer and firing pin are one.

Brian Dudley
08-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Once you get it open after firing, check the primer. If there is drag marks on it then you can do one of two things... try an different ammunition/primer and see if the problem solves itself OR you re-dress the tip of the hammer as Edgar suggested. I have had this issue happen with a flattened hammer tip personally. But primers can be soft and cause issues as well.

If there is not drag marks on the primers, then you have another issue.

calvin humburg
08-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Jay he does have some elhew good eye. My friend has his sister from another litter she is getting older got some years left but he needs a young dog. He is looking for a black and white female when she gets few years old I'll breed Sam to her and have all the dogs a guy could need. With Gods help of course. Sam ran down a Jack rabbit the other day while I was greasing undercutter. That is not an easy task. Stamina hes got. OK I will shut up but kids and dogs...:) ch Geeze I was flappin my fingers and forgot to say. Thanks Jay

Bruce Parham
08-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Hi jay,

My Trojan does the same thing from time to time. The solution I use is to smack the bottom of the receiver with the heal of my left hand while holding the lever over to the right with my right thumb. One or two good bumps usually does it.

Bruce

Dean Romig
08-11-2015, 10:22 PM
A discovery I made a few days ago - that I thought was a firing pin dragging or hanging up in a soft primer - turned out to be the brass shell head expanded just enough on the right barrel only that it was very hard to open the gun. It is an extractor gun. I think an ejector gun wouldn't have this problem...?

I dressed and polished the firing pin tip and that made no difference at all. Now I'm gently honing the right chamber and each time I recheck it there is a bit of improvement. Shouldn't be long now.

Brian Dudley
08-12-2015, 07:42 AM
I have had ejectors act up from the brass expanding. And I have even had issues with the actual hull expanding too. But all of these issues were on reloaded hulls that were all used up.

Dean Romig
08-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Understood, but my problems are with new RST shells. It's not the shell's fault but rather, the fault is in the i.d. of the right chamber. Nonetheless, the gun will only open with great force after firing the right barrel - no problem at all with the left.

Brian Dudley
08-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Any shells that I have had issues with have been RST as well.

William Davis
08-12-2015, 08:14 AM
If your Cartridges are loaded in Cheddite hulls with Foreign primers it's a likely cause of opening problems. My 10 G hulls are about half Cheddites half Remington obvious difference in hull quality. Primers even more so. Factory primed cheddites pierce about 10% in myParker,hammer gun which causes the gun to drag on opening. Never ever had a Winchester primer pierce in any of my guns.

I have had double guns hang one chamber not the other which is a different thing, and careful hone cured it.

William