PDA

View Full Version : New cleaning rod

Jack Cronkhite
04-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I'll be getting a nice damascus barreled GHE at the end of May. I thought a set of barrels like that would deserve a bit better than the average cleaning rod. I had a couple ideas and ran them by a friend who is into wood working. I told him I would like to learn something and he said how about you learn to let someone do it that knows what they are doing. And so a deal was struck. He called me a while ago and said he also had learned a long time ago to let someone do things that know what they are doing. He explained to a friend of his, also into woodworking and metal working, what I had in mind. Second deal struck. I will be getting this set of brass/rosewood rods and handle near the first of May. The handle spins freely. The sections are 11" each and the fourth is an extra, in the event of disaster or I find a 40+ inch fowler some day (not really looking but at least I'll have a cleaning rod that will be capable). I am most pleased with the outcome.

Cheers,
Jack

Dave Suponski
04-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Jack,What a great accessory.Simply beautifull.....

Eric Eis
04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Is he going to go into business making those rods, very nice.

Jack Cronkhite
04-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks Dave: Can't wait to get the barrels dirty so I can clean them with this.

Eric: Not sure what he might like to do. Like many of us here, he is well since retired and likes to play with wood and metal - nothing to do with his life's work. One might have been fun. Many may or may not be fun. He's not into guns/hunting but also, like many here, loves fly fishing and has the joy of being close to Rocky Mountain rivers and streams. He was kind to me - cover the cost of materials and add a fine bottle of single malt Scotch to seal the deal. Not sure how that translates to setting a price point if he were to want to do more. I'll find out, regardless.

Cheers,
Jack

Dean Romig
04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
That is very nice! I am always amazed at the skills people still have and still use to hand craft beautiful tools rather than simply buying something. Thanks for showing it to us Jack.

Dean

David Dwyer
04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Good Morning
Fantastic work! If he is interested, I also would like one.
David

Eric Eis
04-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Jack, I think you are right about "it's fun to do one or two and then after that it's a job" but I do know a retired Dr that makes oak and leather cases that are a steal, as long as you don't push him for a date when it will be finished, so maybe your friend might do something like that. And yes I would love a two piece rod for a certain A grade 20 ga that I have sitting in a leather case with not cleaning rod.....

Trigg Davis
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Jack,

The rod is really something special; a real treasure.

Trigg

Jack Cronkhite
04-18-2010, 04:26 PM
For all those who would have liked one made, it is my sad (well sort of) duty to inform you that I have the one and only on the planet. As suspected, it was the challenge of doing a project never before undertaken. He is pleased. I am pleased, but there will be no others made, as there is no longer any challenge in it.

Sorry,
Jack