PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Clays at Scarborough Fish and Game July 26

Frank Cronin
07-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Getting together for some mid summer fun with the NH Boys at Scarborough, Maine Sunday July 26th.

If you have this date open, come join us to grind up some clay birds, food, and guns.

Plan to be on the course by 10AM. $37 dollars for 100 targets. www.scarfg.org/

Afterwards we have lunch and check out the Gun Library at Cabela's right down the street. Now is the best time to have that gun shipped from another Cabela's you saw online on Guns International to Scarborough to evaluate and maybe bring home a new gun.....?? :whistle:

The usual cast of characters will be there bringing along some "new" guns to get out and shoot...... Scott Kittredge, Billy Janelle, Pete Lester, Allan McLane, and myself.... My understanding the Editor of the Parker Pages, Dean Romig is making an appearance....:cool:

We had a great time last year so hopefully some new faces can join us.

Daryl Corona
07-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a great time Frank. Wish you were'nt so far away. Break 'em all.

George M. Purtill
07-10-2015, 07:20 PM
My calendar is open but I'm on the Cape that weekend. I will map it. Gotta be 3 hours?

allan.mclane
07-10-2015, 09:18 PM
My calendar is open but I'm on the Cape that weekend. I will map it. Gotta be 3 hours?

Just shy of Portland... it's three hours from SEVT and I'm carpooling w/ Scott for the last bit of that.

Rain or shine, I'll be ready! (Well, maybe drizzle or shine.)

Allan

Frank Cronin
07-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Less than that.....2.5 hours from Buzzards Bay.

See you there!!!

scott kittredge
07-22-2015, 07:24 PM
ok to the top, we will be at Bill Janelle's house by 9 am sunday morning than going from there to the shoot. Who is going??
P/M Bill for address to his house if you need it. Or just see you at the shoot around 10:00
Allan, see between 8:20 and 8:30 ?? i will be up by 5 am so don't worry about being to early! see you guys sunday!:) scott

allan.mclane
07-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Looks like the weather will be fine. Be there or be square!

Frank Cronin
07-22-2015, 08:28 PM
I got confirmation Bob Weeman will be coming down from Denmark, ME to join us...........

Dean Romig
07-22-2015, 10:07 PM
I'll be at the club well before 10 - unless Bill's serving a fine breakfast... in which case I'll be at Bill's early.

Mike Koneski
07-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Cream chipped venison on home fries on toast, side of scrapple, tall tomato juice and keep the coffee coming!!

Dean Romig
07-25-2015, 09:57 PM
1 hour, 26 minutes from my house to Scarborough F&G Assoc.

Pete Lester
07-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Well it turned out to be a different day than any of us expected. We met at Scarborough F&G around 10:15AM; Dean Romig, Erick Dorr, Allan Mclane, Bob Weeman, Frank Cronin, Bill Janelle, Scott Kittredge and myself, only to find the club closed due to..............cloudy weather. After hanging around for awhile somebody came up with the idea to call Brad Varney who owns Varney's Clay Sports in Richmond Maine, 50 miles further north. We made the trek and were greeted by Brad, his wife and their dog. We had the course to ourselves and Brad was trapper for the entire round. Brad had some interesting and at times challenging target presentations. When we finished shooting we headed back south stopping at Portland Pies for a very late lunch and then over to wander the aisles of Cabelas.

Daryl Corona
07-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Glad to see Frank finally turned his hat around. Shows he was really working on those targets.:) Good to see you guys had a great day.

Pete Lester
07-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Glad to see Frank finally turned his hat around. Shows he was really working on those targets.:) Good to see you guys had a great day.

Ya but Frank was handicapped, if you look closely at the guns leaning on the wood pile there is Model 21 dressed up by having all the Parkers surround it.

Daryl Corona
07-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Just goes to show what a great shot he is for handicapping himself with a M21.:shock:

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Nice write up Pete.

Overall it was a great day considering the morning didn't work out like we planned. The weather did hold up for the rest of the day and we got to break some clays, have a few laughs, eat a great lunch, and visit Cabella's. Great to see Bob Weeman come down from Northern Maine and Erick Dorr, who we all met for the first time lives along the Maine coast also make the shoot.

On to the pictures....

This is Brad Varney. He's quite the character and has more stories than Dr. Seuss and can talk a dog off a meat truck.... Per liability insurance we all had to take part in a small "quick" session of gun safety before entering the course. As you can see there are ten list of items to go over and Brad went over each one very thouroughly and had story for each one! This safety brief lasted 21 minutes, 49 seconds...... :eek:

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Wet weather brought the Maine Deer flies in full force........

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 08:39 PM
yep.... this is my Model 21 next to another 21 I think with the bluing worn off.....:rotf:

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Nice rack....

Most all Parkers, Winchester M21, and a really nice Ithaca NID 4E with vent rib.

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Erick demonstrating how it's done and displaying a pretty cool Parker Clown Catalog patch on his shooting vest....

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Bob Weeman with his NID 4E vent. Full chokes busting clays into a black misty vapor...

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Dean on the ready with his sweet 16 hammer gun he just got back from Brad Bachelder.

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Scotty looking like he needs a shot of Red Bull to wake up.....

Second pic.... oh Oh Shazam!!

Third pic and last pic.... Lost bird...:crying:

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Scott, at least your feet were in bounds though....

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Oh Sheyah

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Difficult to show with still photos.... Allan doing his wrist crank pre warmup drill before calling for the bird....

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Pete just steps right up and gets it done....

Frank Cronin
07-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Days over... time for food!

That's all I have. Great time everyone and see you all soon.

Daryl Corona
07-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Great pics, thanks Frank. I'd have a tough time with rule #9.:whistle:

Is that Bill eating pizza with a knife and fork? Must be a New England thing. LOL.

allan.mclane
07-26-2015, 10:08 PM
L-R: Scott, Erick, Frank (hidden behind), Dean, Pete, Bob, Bill, and our intrepid host, Brad.

It should be noted that Mrs. Varney is a colorful personality in her own right and they were both very gracious to set aside their Sunday antiquing plans and receive eight slightly skeptical shooters instead. Who'd have thought that one man could throw 400+ targets from ten stations, including mostly report pairs, with manual traps, all in less than two hours. I swear his left arm was twice the size of his right!

http://www.varneysclaysports.com

I thought Frank's gun was one of those rare, long-action Trojans... :corn:

My total mileage traveled today was over 440 but Scott provided 220 of those, thanks!

WilliamJanelle
07-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Great posts Pete and Frank! Glad we headed north, the Varneys were wonderful hosts. Glad to have Eric join us, for someone who had never shot sporting clays before he made it look easy. Time to plan another outing.

Dean Romig
07-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Had a great day with a bunch of great friends. Lots of laughs and lots of fun.
This is the first time I, and probably the rest of the group had ever shot at Varneys and Brad and his darlin' wife were a real hoot... they really made it worth it.
Mrs. Varney just had eye surgery and as a result she is a self proclaimed "One-eyed XXX XXXXX":eek:.... but never mind that... she's very sweet!

Thanks for the recaps guys and thanks for the photos... (in the future maybe we can work on "photo shopping" pot-bellies out of the pics before posting:whistle:).

scott kittredge
07-27-2015, 04:53 AM
thanks for the photos... (in the future maybe we can work on "photo shopping" pot-bellies out of the pics before posting:whistle:).[/QUOTE]

Dean, i for one have a gland problem !:shock: :rotf: scott

George M. Purtill
07-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Well it looks like you all had a blast. I am sorry to have missed it and I know Edgar is as well.
My day was landscraping and hauling stones and brush with my PW. I would rather have been busting clays with you boys.
Next time...

edgarspencer
07-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Why is mostly everyone dressed for winter?

Pete Lester
07-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Had a great day with a bunch of great friends. Lots of laughs and lots of fun.
This is the first time I, and probably the rest of the group had ever shot at Varneys and Brad and his darlin' wife were a real hoot... they really made it worth it.
Mrs. Varney just had eye surgery and as a result she is a self proclaimed "One-eyed XXX XXXXX":eek:.... but never mind that... she's very sweet!

Thanks for the recaps guys and thanks for the photos... (in the future maybe we can work on "photo shopping" pot-bellies out of the pics before posting:whistle:).

Dean, Pot doesn't give you a belly, beer does. It's a downside to keeping it legal. :)

Pete Lester
07-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Why is mostly everyone dressed for winter?

Because it was a nice typical summer day..........in Maine. We could actually see our breath yesterday.

scott kittredge
07-27-2015, 10:18 AM
:rotf:Scotty looking like he needs a shot of Red Bull to wake up.....

Second pic.... oh Oh Shazam!!

Third pic and last pic.... Lost bird...:crying:

So that's the bird i missed:rotf:

Erick Dorr
07-27-2015, 11:54 PM
I will add that I had a lot of fun, met some great guys who are good shots to boot. I found the variety of shooting styles exhibited interesting.
It was my first time at Varney's and I was glad to have participated. Turns out it is only a bit over 50 miles from home but well over double that if you go by way of Scarborough.
Not knowing what to expect, I had guns in depth in the trunk from full and fuller to open chokes. Open chokes seemed to be the right choice for me.
Edgar, I was the only guy dressed in shorts and light short sleeves as you could say it was humid. Fortunately the rain held off except for a little mist as a rainproof jacket would have been unbearable.
I choose to not do Portland Pie and Cabelas because it was the wrong direction and I had scavenged Cabelas a couple of times in the past few weeks. Last pass through yielded a 1893 Marlin 26" round barrel with not much metal finish remaining except traces of faded case color if you strained your eyes for a rock bottom price.
I look forward to doing this again with the same men and hopefully meet some more as well.
Best Regards,
Erick