PDA

View Full Version : Help with value of hammer gun (most likely a wall hanger)

Mike Truluck
04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Hello Everyone,

I recently inherited this 12 ga double barrel Parker sn#51583 (manufactured 1887).

Everything seems functional on it except for an ugly bulge in the right barrel around 19 inches from breach end.

Both barrels have a LOT of pitting and seem very thin especially at the end. I haven't had it looked at by a gun smith yet, but I'm pretty sure that at least one of the barrels is too far gone to use.

I'm debating what to do with it. It has no real sentimental value for me. Would it be better to sell it as original (all three pieces have matching serial #s) in the condition it is in, or try to find another barrel and get it into shooting shape?

I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,
Mike

Dean Romig
04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Mike, it's too bad about the barrel condition. To find a set of shootable barrels and have them properly fitted to your gun would cost more than the gun would be worth but that is your choice. It looks to be in pretty decent condition otherwise but it is a wallhanger or parts gun as it is. These old hammerguns are a real hoot to shoot, especially at live game.

Yours must have been made around the time Parker Bros. started the rib matting. I have seen guns later than yours without the matting.

Bruce Day
04-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Just repair the barrel.

Harry Collins
04-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Mike,

When Damascus and Twist barreled guns were dangerous and cheep and I was tired of cleaning up after black powder, I sent the barrels to Briley and they made a set of 20 gauge tubes for it. The chambers and bore diameter of these old guns do not lend themselves to off the shelf Briley tubes. They will make them for your barrels and I would bet that they will take the bulge out of the barrel as well.

Harry

Mike Truluck
04-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the great info. I took the gun to a smith today and he said it was definitely not shootable. I looked at the Briley tubes and I'm just amazed at how those work. I'd never heard about this method before.

But I guess my real question is whether the gun will be more valuable to a collector with the tube inserts or just as a wall hanger or parts gun. I'm just want to sell it to someone who will get some enjoyment out of it.

Thanks for any further advise.

Mike