PDA

View Full Version : Parkers love Mearns Quail

Fred Lowe
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Since I'm new here, I'm not sure of the rules.... but hope these are appropriate. One of my Repro DHE 28's with a limit of Mearns, and Dottie locked up.
"It's raining quail in Arizona"
Fred

Dave Suponski
04-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Wonderful pictures Fred.Thanks for posting them.

Joe Bernfeld
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Great pictures, Fred. I sure wish Mearns were less well known though, as was the case in years past. Long gone are the days when one could see huge covies and not a single hunter, as was the case when I lived in AZ years ago. They have become too popular, in my opinion, with us retired guys, considering their relatively small range. At least last season I saw fewer hunters than usual, unlike the 2 bumper crop years preceding. I wonder what the summer monsoons will bring; the Gambel's quail should be way up next season due to the extremely wet winter in the desert! By the way, you are going to have to rename your dog; my Brittany is named Dottie too :nono:. Here is a pic of her in duck hunting mode last fall with my Parker Repro 12 ga duck gun (for steel shot:p). Needless to say, she doesn't like posing!
Joe

Fred Lowe
04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Great shot Joe! Very distinguished. For me the dogs go together with the guns, like "peas amd carrots"

Larry Frey
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
You fellas should consider putting your pics in the photo of the month contest.

Joe Bernfeld
04-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks, Larry and Fred. Actually what looks like distinguished is really an annoyed look.

Destry L. Hoffard
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Nice work! I was out there hunting with Phil Carr for several days this past winter. We only managed to get up one covey of Mearns and I managed to miss with both barrels. Needless to say I'm going back!

Destry

Phillip Carr
04-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Destry you are welcome back anytime.

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/10904_600x400.jpg

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/10901_600x400.jpg

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/10903_600x400.jpg

Fred Lowe
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Now there is a photo(or 3) that would look good in the run for photo of the month.

I can promiseyou all, if anyone has ever told me I was a good shot.....they weren't talking about my camera skills!!

Rich Anderson
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Destry,

You hunted UPLAND birds??:shock: All these years the only birds I figgured you for were dem eloosive fowl.

Angel Cruz
04-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Beautiful girl Joe. You gotta submit this picture for gun of the month.

Angel

Joe Bernfeld
04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks, Angel, it's really not the best pic of her, but I think you could be biased :rolleyes:. She much prefers upland hunting, but she loves water and has no issues with retrieving ducks and doves.
Joe

Dave Suponski
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Joe,That is great picture.The look say's it all.God I love Brits...:)

Destry L. Hoffard
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Phil,

Did you get the PM I sent you a week or so ago?

Rich,

I didn't ever say I couldn't walk, that I was just too lazy too. But for a bird like Mearns Quail, even the fat boy will knock the dust off his Filson Uplanders.

Destry

Fred Lowe
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
The attached article is a part of the reason many hunters should choose not to go south. I have personally seen many "runners" and an aquaintance stumbled across 2 very large "bales of pot" last fall. Pretty easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0331/Robert-Krentz-killing-stokes-fears-of-rampant-illegal-immigration

Destry L. Hoffard
04-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah, we saw some evidence of that sort of thing. Piles of clothes and garbage in odd places where nobody but a quail hunter would go. We also saw evidence of a lot of mountain lion activity. If you worry about everything you never seen to get much done, I was just quail hunting......

DLH

Joe Bernfeld
04-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Do not go Mearns hunting! It is too dangerous and there are no birds anyway :rolleyes:.
Joe
P.S. What did your friend do with the pot? I've seen plenty of trash, but no pot bales...

Destry L. Hoffard
04-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I don't recommend it either! They're damn hard to hit apparently, of the ones I shot at I didn't draw a feather.

Destry

Fred Lowe
04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Marked GPS coordinates, scooted and reported it to the Border Patrol.

Who wants the coordinates:nono:

You could probably get a nice 28 DHE "original" after offloading that stuff in "Teton Village" Joe!:eek:

Joe Bernfeld
04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Marked GPS coordinates, scooted and reported it to the Border Patrol.

Who wants the coordinates:nono:

You could probably get a nice 28 DHE "original" after offloading that stuff in "Teton Village" Joe!:eek:

No doubt (you obviously know Jackson Hole :p).

Phillip Carr
04-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Destry, just opened the PM. sorry had not seen it earlier. Things are getting a little interesting here on the border. It will not keep me from hunting. A guy needs to be aware of what's going on around him, as there is a lot of illegal activity going on. Do not go out looking for trouble, but be prepared. I usually have a pistol hidden in the truck or in my hunting vest. Usually a rifle in the truck. I damn sure do not look for trouble and avoid it at almost all costs. I am sure Rob Krentz was as savvy as they come, when dealing with the trouble that can go on here on the border. Unfortunately they bad guys sometimes have you at an advantage as most us outdoor guys are always willing to lend a hand to someone in need. I guess this can leave a guy vulnerable to some one bent on trouble. I grew up on the border in Douglas AZ and went to school with Phil Krentz and knew Rob. It has been many years since I spoke with them, but by all accounts Rob was a hard working family man that would help any one including the Illegal's when they were in trouble. Destry we drove through the Krentz ranch late one afternoon as we traveled through Rucker Canyon. We actually stopped on the ranch an looked at a large herd of mule deer. I am sure you remember the area. I wont get off on a political tirade, but the leadership of this fine country of ours need to understand that we can use some of the fine young men and women we are using in the middle east to help protect our own soil. I love Mexico and the people, so its not about Mexican people, its about the organized crime and the violence of a few bad guys that can feel unthreatened coming into our country and killing an American and slinking off across the border. This activity may not be new, but it was dealt with differently earlier in this century.:cuss:

Thanks for letting me vent. I am sorry did not mean to take the subject of Mearns hunting in a differt direction