PDA

View Full Version : Will the wood from an older Trojan fit the metal from a newer Trojan?

Tom Christman
06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a completely refinished stock and forend from an older Trojan that did not have the rib extension. Will this these fit the action and forend iron of a Trojan that is newer and has the rib extension? I don't know if they modified or altered the wood at the same time they added the rib extension.

Thanks.

Dean Romig
06-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Hello Tom,
It is unlikely that the wood from one Parker will fit another Parker, even if they are the same frame size, but it is possible - only trial and error will tell for sure.

The earlier Trojans, from 1912 on to the mid-twenties had the rib extension, not vice - versa as you have written.

Best, Dean

Tom Christman
06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Which is easier? Fitting a different barrel to an action that already has the stock and forend or fitting the wood to a gun that has none. This goes back to my post of a few weeks ago. I have a Trojan with holes through both barrels from someone trying to install a sling swivel in the lower rib. I have found a barrel just like mine without a rib extension but I can't get it until October since the owner is gone until then. I also found an older Trojan with the rib extension and all the metal but no wood.

Dean Romig
06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
As with trying to fit the wood from one gun to another, same goes with trying to fit barrels from one gun to another . . . trial and error will tell.
I have been lucky in the barrel fitting department in that I have a set of Titanic twenty gauge ejector barrels that fit perfectly on my GHE 0-frame sixteen gauge Damascus gun and I have a set of GH Damascus 2-frame barrels that are close to a perfect fit on my DH Titanic gun and are out right now to make them a perfect fit. But very few are as lucky in this as I have been and I have never attempted to fit stocks from one gun to another . . . it's hit or miss.
I don't know which would be less expensive to have a gunsmith do for you, the stock or the barrels.

Good Luck, Dean

Don Kaas
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
As Dean says there is no easy way out on hand fitted guns when (attempting to) swap parts among or between guns. Both barrels and stocks can usually be "fitted" in so far as they may be functional but the fit may be far from correct. Having said that, wood is much more forgiving than steel. I would swap the nice wood to the old gun...But remember, what is the point of wasting time and money on a cobbled up mongrel of a Parker. The whole point of these guns is the fit, finish and history behind each individual example. Sometimes, it is far better to just eat the loss, sell what you can, chalk it up to bad luck and go buy another Trojan or VH. Putting a lot of time, effort, money and aggravation into a Trojan is not a wise move. Best of luck...:banghead: