PDA

View Full Version : Damascus hunting knife

Bill Holcombe
05-16-2015, 11:03 PM
When I graduated with my masters back in 2005, I had saved up some money and took some money I recieved from relatives and wanted to get something nice to commemorate the accomplishment.

What I settled on was a Damascus Steel hunting knife made by Harvey Dean. Harvey is a family friend and an outstanding knife maker. Back when that smuck poisoned the Treaty Oak in Austin, Harvey was the knife maker that was chosen to take the wood they removed from the tree and use it to make handles for the knives he made to raise money.

Anyway I had seen Harvey's work most of my life and decided I would see what he could make me for my budget. I had about $900 and asked what that would get me with damascus pattern. He said he could do a really nice pocket knife for $750. I liked the idea but already had a really nice King Ranch lock blade I carried with me all the time so asked him what he could make me that was a little larger. He said his bowie knives, he was selling a lot of folding bowie knives at the time, were about 1300 or so, but he thought he might be able to make me a hunting knife for my budget with a 8" blade on it, he was cutting me a discount. I left the particulars to Harvey, but after the time had passed where it should be ready he told me he was sorry but someone had seen the knife and offered the 1200 he would normally sell it for so he had to sell it. I understood and told him to tell me when it was ready. This dance continued for about a 18 months I think, everytime he got the knife ready someone was willing to buy it. When I finally got it in 2007 it was truly worth the wait.

It has a mammoth ivory handle, nickle silver guard, and because of the delay, a 9 inch blade. It is a fabulous piece of work and I have loved it.

Below are the attached photos, if anyone is interested, Harvey has a site

http://www.harveydean.com/

He has started making damascus straight edge razors for people as well, which I find the idea of fascinating, but don't trust my hands to be steady enough.

Bill Holcombe
05-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Wanted to share this one as well, I couldn't afford it, but have thought the blade was amazing since I first saw it. I believe it won Harvey a few knife maker of the year awards.

Oh yes, he is a true craftsman btw, everything about the knife he makes, including the handles and the sheaths.

Rick Losey
05-17-2015, 10:02 AM
beautiful knife Bill, looks like Texas from here

i like the duck's head just above the guard in the second picture

charlie cleveland
05-17-2015, 10:21 AM
one fine knife for sure....the man is truly a craftsman....i belive the knife you waited on was worth the wait...charlie

scott kittredge
05-18-2015, 02:51 PM
i don't think i would trust a Damascus blade knife, it could shatter when trying to cut something, they make a better wall hanger! :shock: :rotf:
they are beautiful looking knives !

Paul Harm
08-27-2015, 03:13 PM
I believe he's a Master knife maker in the ABS. Very fine knives. Dr. Batson taught the forging and Charlie Oches taught the Damascus classes I took. I think the ABS is the reason we see so many fine knife makers and Damascus knives today.

Dean Romig
08-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Regarding the knife in the second picture of the OP's post..... Getting that mallard head in there must be as difficult as incorporating people's names in Damascus barrels.

Rich Anderson
08-30-2015, 04:50 PM
I have two Damascus knives that see regular field work. They hold an edge amazingly well. Both by the way were made by our own member Paul Harm:bowdown: