PDA

View Full Version : which Muderlack book 1st?

Bill Holcombe
05-12-2015, 10:05 PM
I have copy of TPS and I have the original parker book, just wondering if I need to get one over the other 1st? I plan to get both.

Dean Romig
05-12-2015, 11:07 PM
EDM's first book on Parkers was "Parker Guns, The Old Reliable".

Brian Dudley
05-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Ed's first book is a good read. Good photography too.

Bill Holcombe
05-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Was curios I had been told that I would like the second one better since Old Reliable was similar to Parker's America's finest shotgun which I have already read. Not saying that is the case, but was told that by only person I know personally who has read both.

Dean Romig
05-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Muderlak's first book is nothing like Peter Johnson's. Muderlak's stands quite nicely on its own and even dispels some inaccuracies in Johnon's... not to disparage Johnson's at all - it was, after all, the very first book dedicated solely to the Parker gun and was the base upon which most works on Parkers published post 1968. You really owe it to yourself to get all the books on Parkers if you want to have everything in your library... And don't forget Larry Baer's two volumes.

Mills Morrison
05-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Get Parker the Old Reliable first and get the second one next. Also, When Ducks Were Plenty is good. I have not read his novel yet

Dean Romig
05-13-2015, 07:50 AM
What novel?

Mills Morrison
05-13-2015, 07:51 AM
The one on Arthur Dubray

Dean Romig
05-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Oh, right... "Knight of the Trigger". Not much in there about Parkers per se.

I suppose it could be considered an 'historical novel'.

Bill Murphy
05-13-2015, 08:48 AM
None of Muderlak's books is like any other book on Parkers. I wouldn't be without any of them. Shooting Flying, The American Experience is the best.

Dean Romig
05-13-2015, 08:54 AM
I agree Bill, with the exception that I favor his first one because it is the book that permanently hooked me on Parkers... but "Shooting Flying" certainly is the culmination of his Parker research.

And with that last book, we will all remember Ed's 'famous' words... "Further, EDM sayeth naught."

RIP EDM

Destry L. Hoffard
05-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Since a past version of myself is actually the narrator of the novel, everybody should read it. Christmas is coming.....

Destry Hoffard

Dave Noreen
05-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Ed's books are great, but they are very Parker centric. Like the lawyer that he was, Ed presented the facts that supported his case, and ignored all facts to the contrary.

Bill Holcombe
05-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Well that fits with me, as I am looking for parker centric reading. Dave, I am guessing you are referring to assertions that Parker was superior to other guns in various ways?

I mean I know Parkers are the best sxs's ever made, the facts just don't always see eye to eye with me on that. As such the facts are obviously in error :)

tom tutwiler
05-13-2015, 02:35 PM
I'd say the first book only because I met EDM when he was in the small town of Leesburg Va many years ago at a local gunshop that also specialized in collectable sporting books. Ed was there talking to the proprietary around a small table and I was in the back looking over a quite nice collection of English Doubles. Multiple copies of EDM's book were laying in the back. I had picked up the book and was ready about the author on the dust cover complete with a picture of EDM and realized that same fellow was currently in the store. :)

I picked up a copy and decided to purchase it. Went to the front and EDM looked up from the coffee table and remarked "good book" and asked me if he wanted him to inscribe it and of course I said yes. Anyway, was a brief exchange but I still remember it quite clearly and of course still have the book.

Bill Murphy
05-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Funny, Ed asked me that same question when one of his books was being released. For reasons only Ed and I know, I said I would rather have the unsigned version.

Destry L. Hoffard
05-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Because the signed / deluxe version was more expensive?

Mike Franzen
06-02-2015, 05:43 AM
I bought one of Ed's books at a pgca banquet several years ago. He signed it to me and I enjoyed talking with him.