PDA

View Full Version : Parker Princess Seventeen Mile

Erick Dorr
04-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Photograph
Can anyone shed any light on a location identified as, Seventeen Mile?
On reverse-
"Sunday Sept 25
Seventeen Mile"

Hope you enjoy the photograph
Erick

Larry Stalnaker
04-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Good Morning,

Great picture, but where was it taken? Being from Western PA. I can only guess about that with which I am familiar. Possibly along the Allegheny River? There are numerous places on the river referred to by such things as the distance from a town along the river, or by the length of an island in the river. These are colloquial designations and wouldn't mean much to someone not from that immediate area. For instance, there is a spot along the river known as "nine mile". I can take you to the area, but do not know for what it is named. Perhaps there is a "seventeen mile" area also. I say that based on what I feel are Hemlock trees in the background of the photo. And Hemlocks are the predominate tree in area.

Or, perhaps it was taken at the "seventeen mile grade" near Piedmont, WV.? The seventeen mile grade was on the B&O rail road and was on the Allegheny Front, Piedmont sat at the bottom the grade. I believe there's a good population of Hemlocks in that are as well.

Just a couple of guesses. Any other ideas?

PopPop

Gary Laudermilch
04-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Neat old photo - sometime in the 50's perhaps

Lightly dressed for Sept 25

The trees in the background are not hemlock. They appear to be a species of fir. Possibly spruce but I think fir is a better bet.

I would not be surprised if the location is somewhere in the NW - N. CA, WA, OR but just a WAG.

Robin Lewis
04-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Nice picture!
These girls could be triplets?

Maybe.......?

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMDF7G_Seventeen_Mile_House__Parker_CO

The 17 Mile House is the only mile house in the region that remains in a rural setting and in its original location. Mile houses were originally located every two to three miles along the Cherokee / Smoky Hill Trails, all leading to and named based on the distance to the intersection of Colfax Avenue and Broadway in Denver. Out of the original six miles houses, only the 17 Mile House and the 4 Mile House exist in their entirety today.

Dave Noreen
04-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Somewhere along Seventeen Mile Drive at Pebble Beach, south of Monterrey, California. I'd be willing to bet that back in the day the country club there had skeet ranges in addition to golf courses. Trees do look like Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga taxifolia aka Pseudotsuga menziesii) to these old eyes.

Dean Romig
04-01-2015, 06:56 PM
To me the trees look like Balsam Fir.

The other gun looks like an Ithaca Flues model.

Bill Zachow
04-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Based on hairdos and blouses, I would guess late 30s, into the 40s.

Erick Dorr
04-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Being from New England I lean to agreeing with Dean about balsam fir and the Ithaca also. I thought the clothing and hair styles looked 20s or 30s but I don't have much confidence in that assessment.
I was hoping someone would speak up and say that some famous shooting grounds was located at 17 mile at X. Maybe someone still will have some solid history but more likely not.
Erick

Destry L. Hoffard
04-28-2015, 08:12 PM
There's a 17 Mile Road here in Michigan and there's an awful lot of pine trees up this way.

Gary Rennles
05-14-2015, 02:56 PM
found this place in Montana
http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en/info/newsroom/steward/09winter/17mile.html

Erick Dorr
05-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks Gary,
These gals look like they might have shot up an old Ford or Buick but appliances and such I doubt it.
Today there is a Mid Valley Gun Club in Prosser WA at Mile 17 of Rte 241 but I don't know if it would have existed back in the correct time period or if it is the correct setting. There are doubtless others as well.
Erick

Gary Rennles
05-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Erick, the area was more than likely very nice, around the time that photo was taken.
But time and people have changed, and not always for the best.
Searching for references to 17 mile brings up a lot of places.
Gary

Chuck Bishop
05-16-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm going with Researcher on this. These lady's look well dressed for the era, like they would belong to family's with wealth. What better than Pebble Beach.