PDA

View Full Version : Parker Pigeon grade

alan ingram
06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Gentlemen,
I am considering buying a 1906 "v" grade with 32" barrels, the seller refers to it as a "pigeon grade".
Can someone help me out on this, what makes a "pigeon grade" are 32" barrels rare.
Would the shell length be 2 3/4" or shorter?
Thank you
Regards
Alan Ingram

George Lander
06-20-2009, 01:56 PM
ALAN: If you will post the serial number of the Parker there are those here that can tell you a lot about it. If you buy it I would immediately order a letter from PGCA that will tell you even more.

Best Regards, George Lander

David Dwyer
06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Alan
There is not a pigeon grade Parker but there are Parkers that are referred to as pigeon guns.. They are Parkers that were used to compete in live pigeon shoots and are generally no safety, tight choked , beavertail forend, 12 ga with little drop in the stock.
A desirable gun.

Don Kaas
06-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I would agree with David's opinion except I would hazard to say the vast majority of Parker ordered for pigeon ring use over the years had splinter fore ends. Non-automatic safeties and flat ribs are also when combined with other features indicative of a pigeon (or trap) gun.Today a "pigeon gun" is a phrase sellers use to tout a double gun without a factory safety. Apparently, it has some cachet. Parker introduced its AA grade with Whitworth steel barrels and engraved on the rib was "Pigeon Gun"...agin this was merely a descriptive rather than a definitive term.