PDA

View Full Version : No Parkers involved.

Peter Clark
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
It is almost Friday and since I just rejoined the forum and...... since I learned how to post pictures,
I MUST post a pic of my lovely wife and the bacon she brought home this October!

Cheers,
-plc-

Dean Romig
03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Nice Royals! Looks like he's been defending a harem or trying to win one.

That sure must have filled the freezer - congrats to your lovely wife!

Peter Clark
03-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, he tried the harem thing but was a loser! Notice the broken 3rd point on the left antler and the broke 2nd brow tine on the right!. He was pretty bruised up when I got his hide off. Still a great bull.

Francis Morin
03-19-2010, 07:02 PM
[quote=Peter Clark;15348]Yes, he tried the harem thing but was a loser! Notice the broken 3rd point on the left antler and the broke 2nd brow tine on the right!. He was pretty bruised up when I got his hide off. Still a great bull.[

Very nice bull indeed. What rifle, scope and bullet did the Lady use? Where- MT? CO?

Peter Clark
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks Francis. She used my Kimber .270 WSM. 140gr nosler acubond, scope is Leupold 2-8 VX-III. That was the first and only shot she has ever fired from that rifle. She has used my other regular .270s before, but when I got hurt, that was the one I had sighted in so that is what she used.
It was a great shot at about 350 yds from a solid rest. It was taken on our place here in CO. We raise alfalfa and they enjoy it.

Dean Romig
03-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I really like my Ruger No.1 in .270

Francis Morin
03-20-2010, 05:03 AM
[quote=Dean Romig;15440]I really like my Ruger No.1 in .270

Nice indeed. Optics? Schmidt und Bender- Zeiss, the one with the SKI on the end perhaps? Leupolds all have the golden ring- as recognizable as a Parker recessed hinge pin- What bullet weight and type do you use in the Ruger? One shot??:bigbye:

Peter Clark
03-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I grew up on Mr.O'Connor, sort of a hero of mine. Although I own a bunch of Winchesters, not a single M70 or M21. Jack would be disappointed in me. I like Buehler mounts too but I don't think they are available anymore? The short mag was a novelty item. I never met anything I couldn't handle with a regular .270. My second favorite is the mini .270, also known as the .257 Roberts.
Our place is in the San Luis Valley. Can spit into New Mexico but not advised as they spit back.
I will say the Kimber reminds me of the M70 Super Grade. Mine is the one they called the French walnut model supposedly limited to 100 in each caliber. Now they are a regular item they call Select, I think?? I don't follow rifles much.
I have always liked big game hunting but never wanted or needed to travel for it. For me it has always been something to fill the freezer and get over with so I can hunt birds!
I guess I am fortunate to be able to do that. I will drive for pheasants! If I could only hunt one thing, it would be ducks.

Dean Romig
03-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Leupold Vari-X III, 1.5 - 5

Remington round nose target best in my Ruger - 1-inch groups at 100 yds.

Bullet weight in the woods is 150 gr. - in open farmland I shoot 130 gr.

Francis Morin
03-20-2010, 02:43 PM
[quote=Peter Clark;15455]I grew up on Mr.O'Connor, sort of a hero of mine. Although I own a bunch of Winchesters, not a single M70 or M21. Jack would be disappointed in me. I like Buehler mounts too but I don't think they are available anymore? The short mag was a novelty item. I never met anything I couldn't handle with a regular .270. My second favorite is the mini .270, also known as the .257 Roberts.
Our place is in the San Luis Valley. Can spit into New Mexico but not advised as they spit back.
I will say the Kimber reminds me of the M70 Super Grade. Mine is the one they called the French walnut model supposedly limited to 100 in each caliber. Now they are a regular item they call Select, I think?? I don't follow rifles much.
I have always liked big game hunting but never wanted or needed to travel for it. For me it has always been something to fill the freezer and get over with so I can hunt birds!
I guess I am fortunate to be able to do that. I will drive for pheasants! If I could only hunt one thing, it would be ducks.[

Nice choices. Don't know if Maynard P. Buehler still makes mounts anymore, many good ones available today. Have returned two scopes to Leupold, one repaired at no charge, the other replaced with a higher end model at NO COST to me. Great product, great people.

Westerners like their meat to fall in one thump- lot of great bird and duck hunting in Western States, as the pressure is mainly on big game. When we hunted N of Lewiston that late Oct- after we tagged out, we hunted pheasants and ducks for 3 more days. Saw more roosters then than I have in MI in last 25 years- and I hunt a lot.:duck::duck::duck:

Dave Fuller
03-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Model 70 Super grade dropped this fella in Wyoming about 15 years ago. Ended up making a great mount (and some pretty good elk burger too)

Peter Clark
03-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice bull. I have never mounted one since they take up too much room. Put my wife's bulls antlers on a plaque but they are at about eye level with our nine foot ceilings! It will reside in our shop.

Peter Clark
03-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Here is the only picture I have of that Kimber with a deer I shot with it. Year before last I think.

I really enjoy seeing other folks pictures of where they live,etc. Hope you guys do too.
-plc-

Kent Nickerson
03-20-2010, 11:08 PM
.......Model 70 270...113...114 is in this picture..
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bluetoon/rifle2.jpg

Francis Morin
03-21-2010, 08:10 AM
[quote=Kent Nickerson;15481].......Model 70 270...113...114 is in this picture..
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bluetoon/rifle2.jpg[

Thanks Kent- I would spend my surplus hunting $ on top optics and ammo and pass on the Super or Custom M98 long extractor BA and settle for a acra-glas bedded std. M70, if I had to. Scopes, binocs, accurized rifles with matched grade ammo- and being in the right spot and not taking a nap also help. :bigbye: