PDA

View Full Version : Parker Loading Tools

bryan Bender
02-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Hi, new to the forum, haven't posted here before even though I'm a member and have read the forum for a couple of years. What a wonderful resource and all the pictures of the Parker guns and a wealth of information from all the researchers here. I like 8 gauge guns, cartridges and loading tools and have a couple of 8 ga. guns that I shoot but no Parker 8. I regret passing on a couple of Parkers several years ago because they were "overpriced". They are at least 3 times the price today and it hasn't been that long ago.

I also collect antique loading tools and thought I would post a few pictures of some Parker tools that I acquired recently. "PARKER BROS. ' on bottom, nickel and cocobolo combination shot and powder measure. Slotted shot measure on one side, opposite is powder scale. Shot is 1oz. to 1 7/8 oz., 2 1/2 drams to 5 drams powder. Rammer style handle, 12 ga. size.

I assume these were produced by Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. as they are clones of early BGICO production from the late 1870s and early 1880s. Also, did Parker sell different size rammer handles (10-12-16) and were there varying sizes of powder and shot measures? BGICO offered powder measures with capacity of up to 8 drams of powder for loading 8 ga. cartridges. How many different examples of marked loading tools have been noted by collectors?

charlie cleveland
02-11-2015, 09:55 PM
very nice..i too like 8 ga guns and anything to do with them...would love to see the 8 dram powder measure ...this would be rough on the shoulder if loaded to 8 drams..charlie

bryan Bender
02-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Charlie, I don't have an 8 dram powder measure even though I have searched for one for years. I assume Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. manufactured these items for Parker as they are exact copies of contemporary mfg. by BGICO. I have an extensive collection of 8 gauge cartridges. The heaviest factory loads I have encountered are 7 drams - 2 1/4 oz, black powder for U.S. ammo companies British 8 ga. loads were as heavy as 8 drams and 3 oz. of shot. Such a loading was probably impossible to pack into a 3 1/4" case. But the British chambered the 8 ga. in lengths up to 4 1/4", thus much more space for the bulk of 8 drams of powder and necessary wadding. I have a book on 8 ga. reloading by Mc Dougall in which he lists smokeless loads of 3oz.

bryan

charlie cleveland
02-12-2015, 07:10 PM
i have seen a gun listed on a british auction site that had 4 1/4 inch chambers...i have a fa loomis 8 ga that has 4 inch chambers....i have shot a few loads of 3 ounce shells myself in 8 ga..i too have a few old shells in 8 ga ..really enjoy shell collecting and things pertaining to the 8 ga.and thanks for posting the parker stuff hope you find the 8 ga loading tool....8 drams of black..wow

bryan Bender
02-13-2015, 02:14 AM
Charlie, I sent you a PM
bryan

Bill Murphy
02-13-2015, 09:31 AM
My Greener Royal eight is nitro proved for 3 3/4" shells and 2 1/2 ounces. I think I can get 3 ounces in there.

'

charlie cleveland
02-13-2015, 08:04 PM
bill you could get more than 3 ounces in there easally shooting smokeless powder with the load....bryan i got the pm.i answered back....charlie