PDA

View Full Version : Laser welding barrel pits

john pulis
02-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Has anyone had pits filled via laser welding? And who would you all recommed for laser welding pits on the outside of fluid steel barrels?

I have the opportunity to acquire an Army/Navy 16 but there is sustantial pitting on barrels and i would like to get a sense of cost before going foward and completing the transaction.

Thanks,

John

Dean Romig
02-04-2015, 02:03 PM
redundant question asked and deleted.

Tom Carter
02-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Micro Precision Welding, Tony South, 269-668-2760. www.microprecisionwelding.com. Tony does great work. Cheers, Tom

Drew Hause
02-04-2015, 05:01 PM
This might be of interest if Frank would re-post the images or provide a link to the thread on the Fox Collectors Site
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10500

will evans
02-05-2015, 08:19 AM
I would love to see the pictures of before and after. I literally just met a guy last night at my happy hour spot who I think can do this. He welds jewelry on the side in his home but is currently working a project at the centers for disease control welding gas lines. His allowed variance is incredibly small. They want the inside and out of his pipes to look like a wedding band. This guy is one of 125 people in the country with his same welding certifications. He was talking about welding down at 0.5 amps, which I think is quite low.

john pulis
02-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the contact. I spoke with Tony at Micro-precision welding and will send the barrels to him for evaluation. He mentioned they do tests to minimize color distinction when refinished via rust blue.

Drew Hause
02-13-2015, 08:06 AM
Timely post and images by Mark Beasland
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394062&page=1

Drew Hause
02-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Frank kindly reposted his images
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15601

john pulis
02-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Many thanks for reposting the images.

Kevin McCormack
02-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Brad Bachelder just returned the barrels of my CE Fox which had the worst external barrel pitting I have ever seen on a gun. Someone had put the gun away damp in a flannel sleeve and there it sat for 25 or 30 years in a closet. Brad laser welded the pits, restruck and re-engraved the breech detail on the barrels, then cold rust blued them. I can't believe he was able to bring them back. I neglected to take a "before" picture of them; I asked Brad and Parker to take one and really hope they did. Should find out this week, at which time I'll post both pics. Simply amazing work!!

David Dwyer
03-18-2015, 02:44 PM
I sent two barrels to Tony at Micro Welding in Mattawan MI. One has a split in the left barrel and the other was a replacement barrel with some rough workmanship. Tony did a great job fast and a very fair price . He completed the work in a week and $173 for all of it
David

Justin Julian
03-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Micro precision welding's website should be listed in our "links" page, but I do not see it there.

Forrest Grilley
04-10-2015, 07:41 PM
I sent two barrels to Tony at Micro Welding in Mattawan MI. One has a split in the left barrel and the other was a replacement barrel with some rough workmanship. Tony did a great job fast and a very fair price . He completed the work in a week and $173 for all of it
David

He welded up a split barrel?!?! This is very timely news, I have a Purdey pinfire that I am in the process of restoring. After lifting the rib, I discovered a couple small pits that actually perforated into the bores. If he can weld up a split, welding up a small hole shouldn't be a problem for him. Thank you for posting info about your project.

One question I had about the split barrel project, was there any cleanup of the bore required after welding?