PDA

View Full Version : 28ga CSMC Barrels on "0" Frame?

Marvin Kells
03-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I had a crazy thought today while shooting my 16ga Repro (16/20 set). Why not get a set of 28" 28ga barrels from Galazan?

My 16ga barrels are 28" choked Q1/Q2 and a set of 28" 28ga barrels choked the same way would be one very versatile 16/28 two barrel set! They'd both even fit in the original canvas and leather case! I'd just set the 26" 20ga barrels aside - they rarely get shot anyway.

Anyone tried a set of 28ga barrels on an "0" frame? I'm sure this is a crazy idea, so please talk me out of it.

But a 16/28 set sure sounds interesting .... :shock:

Dave Suponski
03-14-2010, 04:23 PM
No way am I gonna talk you out of it...Great idea!

Dean Romig
03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Heck, why not? Parker Bros. introduced the 28 gauge on the 0-frame and continued with that setup for fifteen years or more.

Bill Davis
03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
A no Brainer!!! You gotta do it!! I love spending OPM!!!

Dave Fuller
03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Personally, I would put the money toward a new gun. You're already 1/2 way there at $2K plus fitting.

Chuck Heald
03-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds like it'd be a great target and dove gun with that little extra weight of the larger frame. Extremely light guns are highly overrated, IMO.

Bob Jurewicz
03-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Who is there to fit these barrels? I have heard much dissatisfation with CSMC fitting of the 16G sets previously offered.
Bob Jurewicz

Dave Suponski
03-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Extremely light guns are highly overrated,

Chuck,I agree wholeheartedly.

Harry Collins
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Marvin,

I have an early VH 28 gauge on an O frame. Great little gun and looks great next to the O frame VH 20 gauge. Both have 26" barrels. I have toyed with the idea of ordering a set of 28 gauge barrels for the 20, but could only justify it by selling the 28 gauge Parker. Too much for my little brain.

Harry

Larry Frey
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
This weekend I picked up a GH forend. When I got it home it snapped right onto a 20 gage gun. I wonder how the wood would fit the contour of the new 28 gage barrels. You would think because the new barrels are made to match an 0 frame at the breech the 0 frame forend should be a good match.

Marvin Kells
03-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Who is there to fit these barrels? I have heard much dissatisfation with CSMC fitting of the 16G sets previously offered.
Bob Jurewicz

Bob makes a great point, that is the "fly in the ointment" in what is an otherwise interesting and fun idea.

I have not had the best experience in dealing with Galazan in the past, and the general dissatisfaction with them seems to be fairly widespread on this and other forums.

Still, I like the idea of a heavier 28ga, and am sure it would be sweet combo! But I'm reluctant to take a $2000 gamble until we know more about the quality of these barrels. Guess it will have to wait for now.

Larry Frey
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Bob makes a great point, that is the "fly in the ointment" in what is an otherwise interesting and fun idea.

I have not had the best experience in dealing with Galazan in the past, and the general dissatisfaction with them seems to be fairly widespread on this and other forums.

Still, I like the idea of a heavier 28ga, and am sure it would be sweet combo! But I'm reluctant to take a $2000 gamble until we know more about the quality of these barrels. Guess it will have to wait for now.

Marvin,
To answer Bobs question I would send the gun to someone like Russ Bickle for fitting. He just added a new/old set of barrels to a gun for Dean and he is very happy with the results. I would think if you are really picky about the fit of the dolls head that could be made perfect with a little work.

Now that I have an extra O frame forend the thought of a set of 28" barrels in 28 gage for 2k is very tempting.