PDA

View Full Version : Impression marked "engraving"?

Chuck Heald
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I was looking at my 28g the other day and it appears that the "engraving" is impression marked with some scattered "cut" scroll tips.

Comments?

Dean Romig
03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Exactly correct Chuck, except I don't believe it was stamped but machine cut with hand-done embellishments.

The Parker Story covers the Skeuse guns pretty well and includes some manufacturing information, e.g., engraving.

Joe Bernfeld
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
I believe the flats were rolled.

Kenny Graft
03-13-2010, 09:00 AM
The repro engraving is way better than anything else offered in production guns at this price point? Its deep, very visable and lots of it, a larg part of it was hand cut. The dogs and birds are expertly exacuted and look real! Tom Skues realy did not skimp on the repro's, buyers received a quality item! After the dust settled...Parker Reproductions as a company lost 125.00 on each gun that was sold! This came right from Jack Skues. Special note: as the color case wears off the engaving realy stands out. I like the repro engaving mutch more than my RBL 28 that Galazan is so proud of. RBL-s lightly engraved atrwork is very hard to see. The artwork is very good but...it needed to be cut a little deeper and have some hand work that it did not get....)-: The RBL 28 is the best one they built...Im happy with it and keeping it, but I wish I would have used the money for a Parker repro!, only my opinion, thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Marvin Kells
03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Special note: as the color case wears off the engaving realy stands out.

Kenny,

Any way to speed case color wear? I agree that Repros look better when the color is gone, and I have two that are on their way, but I'd love to speed the process along without affecting the engraving (if that is even possible).

Kenny Graft
03-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Marvin...One time I hunted with those jersey gloves that had the rubber dots to grip with..one time out and the color was well removed. Paper towel with flits metal polish would work good to.....(-:

Dean Romig
03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
The colors wear off pretty quickly through normal use, so just shoot it a lot or, like me, just carry it a lot in the field. About two or three years of skeet and normal field wear should eliminate 2/3 or the original color causing a Repro to look just like a well-loved Parker.

Bill Murphy
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Carry it while jogging, running, or using the treadmill. It will speed up the calorie burn and the sweat will help the wear along. I have a blued receiver VH 28 gauge that gets that treatment every time I get on the treadmill, about once a quarter.

Dean Romig
03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I have a blued receiver VH 28 gauge that gets that treatment every time I get on the treadmill, about once a quarter.

I dunno Bill.... that may take a reeeeeal long time...:eek:

Brad Bachelder
03-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Lacquer thinner and a toothbrush will pull the film "finish" completely. A light polish of flitz will even things out.