PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of the SBT.

paul adams
01-06-2015, 11:13 AM
I am very close to closing the deal on a Parker. Since I plan on shooting the gun on the trap field I'm concerned about ongoing problems.
I am a newbie but I've read that since the guns are almost 100 years old they are prone to problems. The gun I'm contemplating has no cracks or the beginnings of any.
I'm also thinking of other alternatives, i.e. the new Krieghoff KX6, etc.. From an investment view point have Parkers continued to appreciate.
Looking forward to your replies.

Chuck Bishop
01-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Paul,

I wouldn't worry about reliability for this SC. As long as it's in good shape mechanically, it should be good to go. Would I use it to shoot thousands of rounds per year, no. But to shoot an occasional round of trap such as in a local trap league, I would. I learned to shoot with a Parker SC since I was old enough to pull the trigger. I also used it for ATA targets in the beginning. Your only problem is if it does break, you will wait to get it fixed. It's not like a 1100, 870, or BT99 that just about every gunsmith is familiar with. I've only had one thing break on my SC and that was the ejector. Took it to DelGrego for a replacement in the 1970's. I shot a lot of targets using a Krieghoff KX-5 and if the KX6 is anything like it, you'll love it. Built like a bank vault and very few internal parts.

Dean Romig
01-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Parker SBT's are coming on quite strong in the last few years and even more so recently.

Condition is the key in the value of any Parker. Buy wisely and you won't lose.

Jeff Christie
01-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Get the gun if it fits you well. Shoot it all the time. I doubt it will ever break, but if it does, get it fixed and shoot it as before. Life is way too short not to enjoy using good things. Parkers are good things and way cooler than much else you will see in a trap rang gun rack.

Brian Dudley
01-06-2015, 03:58 PM
And it boils down to if you want to show up to the trap field at your local club and shoot something that no one else has or has let alone seen before.

Jeff Christie
01-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Absolutely!!

Bill Murphy
01-06-2015, 05:48 PM
When I bought my first Parker single in 1973, the first thing I did was to start looking for another. However, I have never needed a backup. By the way, my first was one of those early ones with the funny firing pin. It has never failed me.

Dave Suponski
01-06-2015, 08:03 PM
I shoot my SBT and Double trap every weekend. Never had a problem and both guns have had thousands of shells run through them. In fact the guys at my club only take notice if I am NOT shooting a Parker...:)

Dave Noreen
01-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Come on!! It is a well known fact that you can't break a trap target if you don't have a Ljutic with a Stan Baker bored barrel!!

Dave Suponski
01-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Damn it Dave my Parker's didn't know that until you spilled the beans. Now I'm in trouble 😊

edgarspencer
01-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Of coarse they are reliable. I've never heard of one doubling.

Eldon Goddard
01-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Thats hilarious. This weekend I took my Trojan out and it started doubling. It is in such nice condition I do not want to mess with it. Quite the quandary.

Dean Romig
01-07-2015, 09:12 PM
In the case of a high condition gun it is likely that the problem is just hardened crud in the trigger mechanisms.