PDA

View Full Version : Favorite RST loads

bob weeman
06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Good day all. I am the proud owner of a GH 12 guage damascus Paker and am looking for some help in selecting some RST loads. I will be using them to break some clays but mostly for hunting (grouse, woodcock and jumpshooting a few ducks). This GH is choked improved cylinder and full. What are everyone's favorites?

Thanks!

Dean Romig
06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Bob, you'll probably want some spreader loads for woodcock and to date I don't believe RST is making such a load but others are and I'm sure someone will come on and recommend one or two.
I use RST 2 1/2" No. 8 shot for upland birds and clays but for jump-shooting Mallards, Blacks and Woodies you would do better with No. 6 shot in 2 1/2" 1 oz. "Lites" which comes in shot sizes 5,6,7,7.5,8 & 9 from RST. Go to www.rstshells.com to see their complete line of 10 ga. through 28 ga. loads.

Destry L. Hoffard
06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Dean,

Not being a waterfowler, you're not thinking. He's have to buy the new NiceShot shells from RST as all waterfowl hunting is non-toxic these days. I've shot quite a few in 10 gauge, they're absolutely without match.

Destry

Dean Romig
06-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Duh! . . . You're absolutely right Destry. Like you said, I'm not a waterfowler so I didn't make the Non-toxic shot connection.

bob weeman
06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Thank you both for the info and taking the time to reply. Can't wait to try this GH out and see how she shoots!

Greg Franklin
07-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Good luck Bob. You could also try www.polywad.com for some good loads, including spreaders.

Kevin McCormack
07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Destry L. Hoffard;802]Dean,

Not being a waterfowler, you're not thinking. He's have to buy the new NiceShot shells from RST as all waterfowl hunting is non-toxic these days. I've shot quite a few in 10 gauge, they're absolutely without match.

Would that be without match in performance or price? Both are rated highly toxic!

Russ Jackson
07-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Kevin; You are not kidding, Dale Edmonds is finishing up a set of Damascus barrels for me for my EH, Parker so I figured I would order a case of Nice Shot in 10 Ga., Man was I wrong ,I believe it was something like 10 Shells for Forty Dollars !! I know I am a little behind sometimes but where did that come from !

Ed Blake
07-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Nothing against RST or Polywad, but they're expensive. Invest in a used MEC loader and a few components. They will quickly pay for themselves. Reloading is not difficult and can be enjoyable, and you can tailor a low pressure load for your gun.

Russ Jackson
07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Ed, you are quite right ,I have an old Mec, Versamec but I haven't used it in years ,I am going to have to see if I can get set up to load 10 Ga. shells ! Ammo was so inexpensive I have just been ordering it mostly from Poly Wad ,and buying over the counter locally but recently its getting out of hand !To be honest I have never owned a 10 Ga. before and I quickly got sticker shock !

Destry L. Hoffard
07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I didn't say they were cheap, I said they killed geese. When the shells kill like these do you won't use many unless you're hunting somewhere with a big limit. Like in Eastern Shore gunning, if a man was any kind of shooter, 20 shells would last them quite a few hunts.

The actual loose NiceShot is super expensive, the RST boys aren't making much on the shells when you count in the cost of the components. They're more offering a service with those shells than making any real profit.

I can't see gearing up to load 10 gauge shells for what few you'd use in a season if you were a damascus shooter. Hell the NPE hulls are what like .40 cent each?

Destry