PDA

View Full Version : "Barrels are now available"

Joe Bernfeld
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
That's what CSMC says on their website. Anyone talked to them lately about this? They probably have 2 available, hence "barrels" :banghead:.
Joe

Chuck Heald
03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Joe, I spoke with them a few weeks ago. They said the. 410 barrels would be the last to be made and could be a year or more from deliivery.

Chuck Heald
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
I just looked at the website for CSM. I didn't see the word "...now..", but they did use "...available..." That statement in red has been up there for quite a while. When I spoke to them, they didn't have any "available" at that time.

Joe Bernfeld
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I guess I don't get the difference between "available" and "available now" (or available in 10 years from now) :cuss:; I guess I'll call them and see what's going on. Boy, there sure are some things I don't like about CSMC!

Joe Bernfeld
03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, Chuck, I called. The website ad specifically says "now available." I called and the lady that answered said they have been shipping them out as they are finished, but she didn't know which ones or how many. She just kept saying to send my $500 deposit! I'm really not sure I believe her. You'd think someone on this forum would have received a set by now...

Bill Davis
03-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I recall Tony telling me at SCI that the 16's would be first and I expect if any were shipped they were 16ga.

Greg Baehman
03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Bill, in your conversation with Tony were any of our concerns of the .410 barrels brought up or discussed?

Bill Davis
03-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Yes--I have 3 sets on order. He told me they will be the most difficult to make and will be LAST in production. I could not pin him down, but the distinct impression I got was what has been alluded to before in this or other threads- about a year! Nothing we can say or do will change this, in my opinion. So--I've put them out of my mind and know that someday--I'll have a surprise package at my doorstep! I'm confident they will be worth the wait. With RBL production finished, I'm sure the new A-10 is keeping his guys busy. I'm waiting for one of those myself--a small frame 20/28 combo. I had not intended on buying one of those until I handled the small frame guns in Vegas. I waited patiently through the RBL saga owned numerous 20's a 16 and at the end of it all, found the 28 RBL to be the jewel of the RBL's and have 2 of those that are keepers. The rest are gone. Well--there you have it--probably more then you wanted to now...BD

Greg Baehman
03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Bill, I probably should have been more specific when I asked you the question regarding the concerns with the .410 barrel sets Tony is going to produce. I wasn't referring to when they will be built, but rather the reservations as to the fitting of our existing gun's 28-ga. forend wood around the .410 barrels, the doll's head fit and how much additional weight these .410 barrels will add.

Bill Davis
03-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Ok--now I got it. I discussed some of those points with Tony/Lou previously. My understanding is the the barrel taper will be structured to deal with the 28 ga. forend on the OO frame. The splinter should be no problem. The beavertail I'm not certain about. I could foresee a very slight gap, but I'm not certain and did not address that. My guns have splinters. I sold my only BT 28 repro.I did not talk about the dolls head. I'm hoping for a good fit. I'd expect the barrels to weigh 6-8oz more then the 28's. This would give you about a 6lb 410 which is a good shooting weight with 28" barrels. If the barrels are not satisfactory, I'll return them for a refund.

Chuck Heald
03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Those of you worried that they'll produce a barrel set with the 28g outside diameters and contour and .410 bore, resulting in a super heavy barrel, I'd not worry much about that. I think it's highly unlikely CSM is that foolish. I've put my $500 down with confidence that the barrels will not be overly heavy.

I do think there will be a gap on the forend, splinter or beavertail. If that's not acceptable, you should consider some other solution.

Joe Bernfeld
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Fine, but which ones are "now available"?:crying:
Joe

Chuck Heald
03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Don't know Joe. I guess they want you to pre-order any of them.

For the 28g owners that want a perfect fitting forend and still worry that CSM will make a boat anchor of a barrel set, they should consider Briley tubes for about 1/3 the price.

Kenny Graft
03-13-2010, 08:59 AM
I have a set of original repro 410 barrels...26" they add 11oz over the 26" 28ga set. Its weight is 6lb 3oz with the 410-s in place. I would bet galazan barrels will be a tad over that...?? In the real world only 15 sets of original repro 410 sets are known to me, I have recorded the S.N. and descriptions of them. Most think aprox 30 sets exist, I think less.. maybe 20 sets? That said if Tony can make a set that works and looks good we should be excited!!! I hope they are perfectly fited and cosmeticly better than the 16ga sets they sold. I have a 16ga set that are great except at the dolls head. I could have the dolls head redone and fited better some day, then they would be exceptable. I have perchased in the past two years two sets of DHE repro's 410 guns that added 7000.00 each to the normal cost of a 28ga. gun! One set Im shooting and the other is mint and in my 401K account! A good set from Galazan at 2K would be a deal!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if they would need a small fix like my 16 set. thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Dave Suponski
03-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Kenny,I really like the idea of a 6lb.3oz..410 How does the gun balance/handle with the .410 barrels in place?

Kenny Graft
03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Im very pleased with 410/28 combo...thats why I perchesed the 2nd 410 set. One has the splinter and the other is BTF. I would still love to have a original Parker 410....but..$$$$, maybe someone will feel sorry for me and will me one. The reason I like the Parker repro's so well is...mine all fit me the same! I perchased them all in the same configuration, lenth of pull,drop, ect. My 410/28, 20/16 and 12 gauge are all so close to the same I can grab anyone of them and not miss the first couple birds out due to gun fit. I don't have to get use to a different stock fit when I change guns and or gauge. Perfect!!!...(-:
As to the shooting...I was shocked how many sporting clay targets this little gun crushed!, even out to 30 -35 yards...WOW. The gun with the 410-s in place is slightly muzzle forward, this is good and helps me keep a controlled swing with a small light gun, its smooth and not wippy. It actually swings better than with the 28ga barrels. I can break clays quite well with this gun. The 410 gauge not my pick for hunting live game...we get so few chances to harvest game birds now days and not shooting due to out of range isues is not for me. If I walk and hunt hard and only get a couple flushes give me a 16 or 20 gauge! I will not feel cheeted if its to far out to shoot! I do hunt wrabbits with beagles on their tails with my little 410-s...(-: now thats fun and sport all in one! I don't care if the wrabbit wins either. I don't think Elmer Fud ever killed the wrabbit but he did a lot of shoot-in....
I think full lenth 410 inserts would be a good set up, it would add just the right amount of barrel weight to the 26" 28gauge barrel set. Put them in the 26" set and leave them there, swap over to your 28ga 28" M/F barrel set when shooting 28gauge shells. I think this would make a great 410/28 combo set! thanks all SXS ohio....(-:

Dave Suponski
03-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Kenny,I was hoping you were gonna say they were a little muzzle heavy...perfect! Thanks for the idea of tubes...Hmmm