PDA

View Full Version : Steel shot special ID?

Jared Valeski
02-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Were there any 3" chambered 12 guage repros. that were NOT steel shot specials?
JJV

Marvin Kells
02-28-2010, 07:03 PM
According to the brochure, 3" chambers were offered only on the Steel Shot Special and Sporting Clays Classic.....

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/Markel51/ParkerTrifold_0006.jpg

Jared Valeski
02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
So a 2 3/4 and 3" chamber marked gun has to be either a sporting clays classic with the choke tubes or a steel shot special with the chrome lined bores? I'm a bit confused as I have seen some 12 guage repros with the 3" marking on the barrel and not advertised as either of the above. I need some clarification on this.
Thanks in advance,
JJV

Greg Baehman
02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
...and then there was this Repro brochure that lists 12 and 20-ga. 28" guns as available with either 2 3/4" or 3" chambers.

Bill Murphy
03-01-2010, 08:52 AM
It also lists the 28 gauge 3" chamber as an available option. Repro paper is notorious for oversights. However, some "oversights" may have been considered for production but not actually produced.

Joe Bernfeld
03-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Were there any 3" chambered 12 guage repros. that were NOT steel shot specials?
JJV

Yes, I own one :). 12 ga, 28", IC/Mod, 3" chambers, Str/Spl/DT (of course). All Parker Repros have chrome lined barrels.

Dave Fuller
03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
I have owned a 12ga with 3" chambers that was not a SSS or an SCC. I have also owned a SCC with 2-3/4" chambers. Those matrix charts from the catalogs will drive you insane trying to figure out what was available and what was not. They often conflict one another.

Jared Valeski
03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks all for the input on this subject. Do ALL Parker Reproductions really have chrome lined bores? What are the distinguishing features of a steel shot special other than the reinforced heavier frame? It seems that there are more than a few out there with 3" chambers that are not the Sporting clays or steel shot models.
JJV

Dave Fuller
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
The chokes and the forcing cone borings are nonstandard in the SSS. Call John Allen at Gamefair in Nashville he can tell you the whole story on how those came about and what they did to them. He still hunts with the first one I believe.

Steve Kleist
03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I also have a 3" 12 ga Repro with 28" barrels. I have not seen any markings that indicate it is a SSS or SCC.
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Dean Romig
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Joe, I like that wood!

Greg Baehman
03-02-2010, 08:19 AM
What are the distinguishing features of a steel shot special other than the reinforced heavier frame? JJV

I have read that the SSS's were unique, in that they were produced with a "strengthened frame" and as you say "reinforced heavier frame", were they really? I've also read they were reportedly produced with .740 bores and .006/.018 chokes, but does anyone have information on how they differed, either dimensionally or structurally, from the standard 1 1/2 frame Repro?

Dave Fuller
03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
An "American Rifleman" article (sorry no date) states the barrels are 12% heavier with corresponding extra weight in the butt. Bores oversized to .733 with choke diameters of .721 and .726 providing .012 and .007 constrictions. The gun they examined weighed 7lbs 6 oz.

Joe Bernfeld
03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks, Dean, me too! Jared, according to the full color, fold-out Parker Reproduction brochure (and several other brochures and newsletters I have), listed under Standard Features is: "Chrome barrel interiors". The Steel Shot Specials all have "SS" in the serial number. They did not have heavier frames, and to my knowledge had the same barrels as the ones made later that were not designated SS. My Steel Shot Special weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz. with a beavertail and pistol grip; my non-SS special weighs 7 lbs. 2 oz. with a straight stock and splinter forend so I don't see how the barrels could have been much heavier. Also, mine is choked .009" and .012" (marked IC/Mod). I have a letter (2/9/1988) from Paul Jaeger where the Steel Shot Specials were sold from (Dunn's), and it states that they are built "on a frame size of 1 1/2" and mentions all of the options available, including a weight of 7 1/4-7 1/2 lbs., with no mention of any frame reinforcement.
Joe

Greg Baehman
03-02-2010, 05:20 PM
An "American Rifleman" article (sorry no date) states the barrels are 12% heavier with corresponding extra weight in the butt. Bores oversized to .733 with choke diameters of .721 and .726 providing .012 and .007 constrictions. The gun they examined weighed 7lbs 6 oz.

I've got a copy of that AR article, too; Dave. They (AR) reported different bore diameter and choke constrictions than what the authors reported in TPS for the SSS. Wonder who's right, or are they both wrong? I guess it really doesn't matter---unless you're one of us anal types!:knowbetter::dh::vconfused::biglaugh:

Dave Fuller
03-02-2010, 05:33 PM
As I've said before... trying to sort out all the configurations and the different sources from which they are gleaned is maddening.

Chuck Heald
03-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Just in the short time I've been hanging here at this site, I've seen various choke sizes in the 28g Repros. I can understand a few thousandths variance, some from measurement error, and some from production tolerance. But Mike Shepard reported a .007 or .008" variance from the "norm". It seems like there's some pretty significant variance in dimensions out there...or people are making measurment errors. No offense to anyone, but based on my yrs of manufacturing experience, my money would be on measurement errors by owners/writers. You have people with various backgrounds and various equipment making measurements that are very very small.