PDA

View Full Version : I can't break open my gun anymore, help

john berg
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
OK, I just got this, it broke open just fine, I have taken it apart and put it back togeter before and shot it. This time the barrels would not detach, so I followed some instructions that said I should release the firing pins forward. It then came apart just fine, went back together just fine, but it won't break open now. It only opens a small crack, feels like the ejectors are hanging on the firing pins, a little give, fells like I could force it open, but I don't want to take the chance. Anybody know about this?

Bob Jurewicz
06-21-2009, 06:45 AM
John,
The cocking hook is not releasing. It needs oiling and/or cleaning. Your pictures show the little pin in the front of the receiver fully extended. That is how it must be to remove barrels. Many times they stick and the attached slide and hook don"t move to release the barrels.
Get the gun appart again by dropping the hammers and use some Breakfree CLP.
The current issue may be the pins dragging. A little force usually works with no problem. However, take the forend off and remove barrels. That should permit examination and diagnosis.
Bob Jurewicz

Jim Williams
06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
John,

We need more information. While Bob's advice is all correct, if I understand your predicament you have a different problem than what he is addressing. I understand that your problem is that the gun won't even open, not that you just can't get the barrels off. Do you have fired empty shells in the gun? If so, they may be stuck in the chambers. Sometimes the case rim is slightly oversized and the case rim sticks in the chamber recess, preventing the gun from opening. I'd take the forend off and try to open the gun. If it still won't open and there are empties in the chambers, open it as far as it will go and use a long dowel or rod inserted in the muzzle until they bottom against the empty hulls and try and tap them free of the chamber as you try and open the gun further. I sometimes have hulls stick in the chambers and a little extra force will break them free and the gun will open (extractor guns, though). But since I am familiar with the problem and know what it feels like when it happens, I know I'm not risking any damage. Until you know what is going on, proceed cautiously with any applied force. If none of this works for you, or if it doesn't apply to your situation please reply back with more details.

One more thing - it appears you have an ejector gun. You mentioned dropping the hammers to get the barrels off before (in which case, Bob's advice is correct about why the barrels wouldn't come off). Were the ejectors cocked when you put the forend back on this last time? You didn't have to force anything to get the forend back on, right?

Jim

Austin W Hogan
06-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Also be sure that the extractor/ejectors are not sticking. Back out the screw in the frame , slide the ejector/ectractors out and clean internally with Hoppes on a Q tip; clean the entire extractor /ejector with Hoppes on a patch. The ejector should slide freely with a tap of the fingernail on re assembly.

Best, Austin