PDA

View Full Version : Login problems

John Dallas
10-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Over the last week, when I try to log in, about 25% of the time, I am told that "Parkerguns.org" cannot be found. Usually, after 10-15 minutes I can finally get through. Anyone else having this difficulty? Problem exists with both Chrome and IE.

Dean Romig
10-17-2014, 09:24 AM
I've had the problem too, but I just think it is John Dunkle performing some necessary maintenance to our website or the server.

wayne goerres
11-03-2014, 08:54 AM
I am having the same problem. It seems to be becoming more problematic the last couple of days.

rufus thames
11-03-2014, 09:31 AM
If its Mr. Dunkle hes doing a lot of work.
If so is well appreciated.
Rufus

John Dunkle
11-03-2014, 10:38 AM
My thanks.!

As well - I'm trying to migrate this server to a dedicated server for the PGCA - which is a "step by step" process.. If I did it all at once - the forum would be down for a day or two - which I really don't want to do...? Rather - and for example - I took it down at 12 midnight last night (when most folks were off-line) and brought it back this AM...

Anyway - yes, it's just "me" on this end..

My best and sincerest thanks for your support and understanding!

John D.

wayne goerres
11-03-2014, 02:24 PM
I hate not being computer literate. What is a dedicated server.

John Dunkle
11-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi Wayne.!

OK - in its most simple form - a "server" is computer on steroids... And it's only purpose in life is to serve up information to the "network" (users) with a high degree of availability..

To meet that requirement - this "server" has several redundant sub-systems, like dual network cards, hard disk drives that are "mirrored", redundant power supplies - etc. So - for example - let's talk about the hard disk drives for a second. Imagine one of the drives fails - there is a "mirrored copy" of that drive that can take over immediately - and the failed drive can be replaced while the system is "on and running". In fact - I'm re-syncing the drives in this server as you were posting your note and I'm typing this - and it will continue into the early morning hours...

As well - for all that - a "server" is built to a higher standard - as it's on and "alive" 24/7/365 - so the components have a greater "Mean Time Between Failure" (MTBF).

OK - so that's what a server is... It's a system dedicated in software, applications, etc... For that, I use this server to host two forums (this one and another dedicated collector community) - and I have two more "servers" hosting other websites I own/program... So - the PGCA has requested that I dedicate a single server to the PGCA specifically...

Anyway - there are other network services I host and run that require their own dedicated servers in addition to "websites" or forums, or... - such as my two mail servers, DNS, etc... This "server" requires the services of "those servers" to deliver up the PGCA site and forum - which appears as a "single site", but in fact, requires all the servers to play together in a seamless fashion...

Best to you!

John D.

Dean Romig
11-04-2014, 12:10 AM
A HUGE THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO JOHN!