PDA

View Full Version : Is it the beginning or the end.....

Destry L. Hoffard
02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Kind of an interesting thought really, is it the beginning of the new season tomorrow or just the beginning of the true end.

I like to think of it as opening day, there's just a real long split between this and the next part of season.

Goose hunting opens in the morning for a week in Ontario, just in certain zones where there is still no Sunday hunting. The boys have a couple hot fields that are full of birds. It's supposed to be in the mid-20's, blow and snow most of the morning. Me and "The Preacher" are heading over about 3am. This could be good.....

Destry

John Truitt
02-26-2010, 08:04 PM
What gun you gonna shoot? Swamp angle?
Hope you boys get into em.

Ben Yarian
02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Good luck Destry. I hope you guys have a lot of action.
Ben

Jack Cronkhite
02-26-2010, 11:55 PM
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley_green_with_envy.gif

May you have a miserable day (weather that is)

http://www.worldculturepictorial.com/images/content_2/geese-in-snowstorm.jpg

Destry L. Hoffard
02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
It was miserable, just under freezing, foot or more of snow on the field, blowing, and spitting snow on and off. A day like that is a goose killing day, we figured we'd have our birds and be done by 10am. It just wasn't to be, we hunted from starting time till quitting time and still didn't quite finish up limits. They just wouldn't handle, even in the bad weather, flaring way out, sliding out of range just at the last second, all the tricks of the goose trade.

There were six of us in the field, four real goose hunters and a couple lesser guns. We finished up with 42 of our allowable 48 geese. Nothing to complain about but it was sure a long tough frustrating day.

We'd probably have had our birds if I'd not hit a streak of bad shooting. I killed my first couple just slick as a gut, one right in the rig and one pretty long passing shot. Then disaster struck and I lost my shooting eye. Eight shots followed with nary a feather to show for them, I was stunned to say the least. So I got out of my blind, turned it to a slightly better angle, tucked in my shirt tail, scratched various places, got back in, and proceeded to kill three doubles in a row. Whew!

Going again Monday, hopefully it won't be quite as tough a day.

Destry

P.S. I had "The Preacher" out today, my infamous GH magnum 10 gauge. I went through quite a few cartridges and I've definitely got a big bore headache.

I'll file another report when I get back, right now I've got 8 geese to breast out, a wet gun to see to, and every stitch I was wearing to find places to hang up and dry.

Richard Flanders
03-02-2010, 12:28 AM
8 geese is more than I've killed in the last 15 yrs Destry so don't feel too bad!

Destry L. Hoffard
03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Yesterday wasn't quite the same as Saturday, the geese were even tougher to decoy. I quit the field at 11:30 and we only had 10 on the ground, nearly all passing shots.

One of the other boys did get a banded bird which is always nice to see. This is the first season in 7 years I've not killed at least one band myself. I've seen three shot and was on a trip where another was killed but nothing new on my lanyard.

I left and drove down to Wallaceburg for lunch with Nathan and to see all the other folks down there. I don't get over much in the spring and summer so wanted one more visit. It's officially over till September 1st, it sorta breaks the heart a bit......

Destry

Jack Cronkhite
03-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Pictures??????????

Destry L. Hoffard
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
They were filming for a TV show, said they'd send me a DVD of the segment when it was finished. I've gotta gather up all my various film and get it developed, I took quite a few pics this year.

DLH

Jack Cronkhite
03-03-2010, 01:05 AM
If you need a four legged star some time.............. Always on the hunt and never phased by the temperature until around -35 C. Or maybe that's me that gets phased

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/IMG_6406sgwsmall.jpg