PDA

View Full Version : DHE 16 ga.

Nathan Ikert
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Came across a DHE 16 ga. today serial # 76844 The gentleman that has it says it originaly had damascus barrels but was sent back to the factory and had steel barrels installed ( he has sevral 12 ga parkers with damascus and steel barrels) so I guess it he is right. The gun has a straight stock the cheeks on the stock are checkered also has skeleton butt plate,case colour quiet strong. The screws in the floor plate were not lined up ,so i think someone had the out and didn't put them back in the wrong holes they were also kind of buggered up also. He asked me $3500 for the gun is that a fair price?

Brad Steinfeld
06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Nathan,

D Grade 76844 shows up in the records book as a 12 bore gun and not a 16 bore?

E Robert Fabian
06-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Nathan, I have a Damascus and fluid steel two barrel set, I don't think it was that uncommon. Very nice though. The price seems very fair if gun is in respectable condition. Bob

Nathan Ikert
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Nathan,

D Grade 76844 shows up in the records book as a 12 bore gun and not a 16 bore?

Does that mean that 16 ga. barrels were put on the # 1 frame? The gun was a 16 ga. for sure.

E Robert Fabian
06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Your gun is listed as a 12ga. in the Parker Serialization book. Did you get a chance to check if seeal numbers match barrels to frame? Bob

Nathan Ikert
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I never thought to check, I will have to give him a call tomorrow. I would go look but he lives 2 hours from me. Is it possible to put 16 ga. barrels on a 12ga frame?

Nathan Ikert
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
There was a wk and a V and 3 and 1 on the barrel lug don't remember a serial #.

Dean Romig
06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
The serial number will be on the left side of the hinge/locking lug at the breech end of the barrels.

Bill Murphy
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
There are about a thousand situations that would cause a gun like you describe to be worth less than the asking price. To get an honest opinion whether your gun is in that category you would have to post lots of pictures or get a professional opinion from a serious Parker collector. A PGCA letter would help also. The letter could tell you whether the barrels were installed at the factory and how the gun came to have ejectors out of serial number sequence. The pictures could tell us whether the ejectors are Parker ejectors or someone elses. If your friend has a bunch of Parkers with steel and Damascus barrels, he has likely been putting guns together from parts for years, or he is a very perceptive collector. Sorry to be so honest but yup, that's what the situation is.

Bill Murphy
06-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Original checkered stock cheeks and strong original case colors would be very unlikely on a D Grade Parker in this serial number range.

Nathan Ikert
06-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I phoned him last night and he told me that the serial# on the frame, barrels and forearm all match # 76844. The v stamped on the barrel flats doe that stand for vulcan and if so would they put vulcan barrels on a DHE? This is a very nice gun wouldn't mined owning it some day if it the real thing.

Bill Murphy
06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
It is not unusual for PB to install Vulcan Steel barrels on a higher grade gun. The question is "Did PB install the barrels on this gun?". The character of the stamped numbers, the quality of fit, and some other factors enter into valuation and proved originality. Pictures will show us whether the ejectors were of Parker design. A PGCA letter may document every modification as original.

Nathan Ikert
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
It might be 4-5 weeks before I see the gun again, but the next time I go I will take a camera. Is there any other things I should be taking a closer look at?

Dean Romig
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
What is the marking on the top rib, Titanic Steel or Vulcan Steel ? Depending on when it was sent back, either before 1897 where it couldn't have Titanic Steel and Vulcan Steel may have been the only lower priced fluid steel barrels available at the time. If the fluid steel barrels were fitted after 1897 it could have been Titanic but maybe the owner opted for the less expensive Vulcan barrels.

George Lander
06-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Nathan: Dean is right. What kind of steel is marked on the top rib? If it was done by Parker it should be "Titanic Steel" A close inspection of the serial numbers should tell you if the re-barreling was done by Parker. How is the overall fit of the barrels to the receiver?
What serial number is on the forearm iron?

Best Regards, George

Nathan Ikert
10-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Had an other chance to look at the 16 ga. It is not a DHE it is a DH Vulcan steel barrels all serial # match. The thing that bothers me is the trigger guard, the engraving is much sharper an there is an N infrount of the serial # N76844 is that normal. He tells me that he will get a letter to prove that is original. I guess we will see what happens

George Lander
10-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Nathan: The Parker serialization book lists the gun76844 as a "D3" or D Grade 12 gauge gun with 30 inch Damascus barrels. It could be that the Vulcan Steel barrels were fitted by Parker to replace the original Damascus barrels. The gun also is listed as an extractor and not an ejector. What is the frame size (should appear on the bottom of the barrel lug)? A PGCA letter would be a good investment for either you or the seller.

Best Regards, George

Nathan Ikert
10-10-2009, 04:46 PM
# 1 frame, straight stock.

Bill Murphy
10-10-2009, 05:17 PM
The "N" prefix is common on early guns.

Dean Romig
10-12-2009, 06:51 AM
It is actually an "No". You will notice an "o" bisected by the upswept vertical line of the N creating a stylized No, the abbreviation of "number".

Nathan Ikert
10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the information. I have never noticed this before and I am a little suspicious of the gun seeing that it was originally a 12 ga. damascus barrel gun.