PDA

View Full Version : Isses with my SBT

Phil Yearout
09-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Took the gun to the club yesterday and shot a couple of rounds or trap. Carried it in a take down case as I always do. Today I started to clean it up and put it away, and I can't get the forend on. It just feels like things aren't coming together right, and obviously I don't want to force anything. Sadly I haven't paid much attention to what is supposed to be where relative to putting it on; maybe this is silly but I thought maybe if I showed a pic of the forend someone could tell me if something's not where it's supposed to be?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w109/prairieschooner/Temps/004_zps8c1e4168.jpg

The next issue is a crack I noticed in the forend. Pic shown; the crack is above the peak in the checkering; the mark below the peak appears to be a grain line. Is this somethig serious and should I get it taken care of before shooting it again?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w109/prairieschooner/Temps/005_zps87ae0f9f.jpg

Louis Caissie
09-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Push back the ejector and foreend will go on.
Lou

Mike Franzen
09-15-2014, 07:58 PM
That's the fix. Ejector guns can be funny like that. I believe it happens when you remove the forend without re cocking the gun before you remove it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave Suponski
09-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Mike, You need to cock the ejector as previously stated. Also the crack in the forend is very common on single traps. In fact its the first thing I look for when inspecting one of these great guns.

Phil Yearout
09-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Um, hate to be so dumb, but what is the lever I should push back? Is it that divided part just aft of the square cut away at the front?

Chuck Bishop
09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Yes, those are the ejector hammers. Push both of them down with something like a wooded stick, They should lock in the down position., If they don't stay down, you have a problem.

Phil Yearout
09-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Sweet!!!! Thanks y'all!!!! My forend's where is should be! Now, about that crack...serious? What to do?

Mike Franzen
09-15-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't think it's serious but, it's not going to get any better. If, it were mine I would have it fixed.

Brian Dudley
09-17-2014, 07:43 AM
There is also a combination sear that has two positions on the hammer.
Now that your forend is back on, double check it for proper operation. Open the gun, close it and then remove the forend. The hammer should stay cocked on the ejector mechanism. Then reinstall it and dry fire the gun and then open it to test ejector function and then remove again. Ejector should re cock and stay back.

If at any time the ejector un cocks when removing the forend, you have a broken tooth on the combination sear.

Phil Yearout
09-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks Brian. Went through the regime you outlined and everything seems to be working correctly.

edgarspencer
09-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Never having had an SBT, or really spent much time looking at one, I don't understand why the ejector hammer is split. Could someone explain that for me?

Dean Romig
09-18-2014, 07:25 AM
"Why not keep costs down and use available parts from the doubles production rather than develop an entirely new ejector system for a low production gun?" was probably the thinking of Parker Bros.

edgarspencer
09-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Plausible explanation, though generous. By 'system' I'm assuming only the hammer would differ.

Brian Dudley
09-22-2014, 10:21 PM
It is two hammers (identical parts as in the double), but they are pinned together and operate as one.