PDA

View Full Version : Trojan 12 ga. butt plate

Mike McKinney
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
I have acquired a Trojan 12 ga. The shotgun is absent a proper butt plate. I wouldn't be surprised if the remainder of what is there is not left from a recoil pad, but not sure. I know that the Trojans came advertised as about 14" length, and assume this is the measurment from the front trigger in a direct line. Mine is 13 3/4 maybe 13 7/8, this may be a dead give away that it has been cut off to accomodate a pad.

With these considerations:
1) Are there original butt plates available?
2) Does it matter much, as I saw the repro on e-bay for $17?
3) If it has been cut, is a recoil pad a more approiate fix?

Thanks,
Mike

Dave Suponski
02-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Mike,Original butt plates could be a chore to locate.The repro butt plates aren't a bad deal as long as they will fit your gun without too much removal of material.Trojans to the best of my knowledge never left the factory with recoil pads. But if the stock has been cut and you need the added length to make it shootable then by all means if it were my gun I would just do it.

Greg Baehman
02-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Mike, If you want to keep your Trojan looking original I would recommend you buy a butt plate that at least looks authentic. Many reproduction butt plates you'll find available are made of hard plastic, the originals were made from hard rubber. Galazan sells two different Trojan reproduction butt plates made from hard rubber, the one you need for your 12-ga. is 5 5/32" long. It's your lucky day---Galazan has them on sale for $20 each, regularly $48.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/Parker_Trojan_Butt_Plate_p/pb310.htm

Mike McKinney
02-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Greg,
Thanks, I ordered one.
Mike

Pete Lester
02-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Mike,Original butt plates could be a chore to locate.The repro butt plates aren't a bad deal as long as they will fit your gun without too much removal of material.Trojans to the best of my knowledge never left the factory with recoil pads. But if the stock has been cut and you need the added length to make it shootable then by all means if it were my gun I would just do it.

Never say never Dave, Scott has a Trojan 12ga with factory 26" tubes (which I believe is pretty rare) and it is fitted with what appears to be an orginal Hawkins Pad from the factory. (I think he may sell it as he makes room for that beautiful BHE he recently bought).

Mike the hard rubber butt plate is going to add about 1/4 inch to your LOP. If you are 13 3/4 to 13 7/8" from trigger to wood I doubt the gun was cut.

Dave Suponski
02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Pete, I agree completely with "Never say never". Let me rephrase that last post...They were not cataloged with recoil pads....:rolleyes:

Mike McKinney
02-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks to you all, I read and measured the dimensions of the butt plate and it appeared to be really close. I am hopeful the stock has not been cut. Was I correct in the assumption that when Parker advertised the length in their ad for Trojans they were measuring the LOP or said in layman's terms from the front trigger to the end of the stock in a straight line.

Dave Suponski
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Mike,That is correct...:)

Mike McKinney
03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
I received the butt plate from Galazan a few weeks ago, when it came it was too small and I expected they had either sent me the wrong butt plate or I punched the wrong button, I broke the rules (buttplates can't be returned) and returned the butt plate and they sent a new one back, it's too small as well, and doesn't meet the measurments as advertised, but appears to be the correct order #. Is there another option to order from as evidently the specs, which appear in their advertisements to be the correct size, are smaller than the actual.

Dean Romig
03-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Put a pad on it and be ever-watchful for an original buttplate.

Greg Baehman
03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
As Yogi Berra once said "it's deja vu all over again".

The same thing happened with me and my Galazan order for one of these Trojan butt plates. In my case, the plastic zip-lock envelope containing the butt plate was marked correctly, but it contained the smaller size of butt plate. I sent it back requesting they actually measure a butt plate for the correct size before sending it out again, they did and it re-arrived the correct advertised size.

Mike McKinney
03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Dean, I think that's a good idea.

Greg, I'm glad to get this info, I was just afraid I'd get black listed at Galazan, because I can read and measure pretty close, don't want to be a pest but I may try it one more time, because I really believe I got the wrong pad.

Greg Baehman
03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Mike, if the plate Galazan sent you does not measure what they advertise, it is then their mistake and they should cheerfully send you the correct one and cover the shipping--both ways. People do make mistakes, but you should not be left feeling like you're a pest because of someone else's mistake.

Pat Dugan
03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
They don't check their orders on the small stuff, I also ordered a sale Parker butt plate for an O frame and they sent a deformed 1 frame plate. I called the lady told her it was a Piece of junk, said she didn't believe it and to send it back. I did and she sent the correct plate. Must be a better way for them.

PDD