PDA

View Full Version : New Parker Owner

Brad Mitchell
02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
I was introduced to Parker shotguns by my bird hunting partner. He purchased a 16ga. that was made in the twentys a few years ago. This was the first Parker that I had ever seen. He then purchased a 12ga. last year. All this time he was telling me about Parker shotguns and educating me on the different frame sizes and configurations. I had never really liked sxs shotguns. I have a 20ga. Franchi o/u and a Beretta ultra light deluxe 12ga. o/u. Then he started educating me on Parker repros. Then about a month ago a mutual friend of ours was shooting some birds over a young dog in my friends field where we all train our dogs. When this mutual friend retrieved his gun from his truck it was a Parker 28ga. d/t repro. I asked him if I could see the gun. He handed it to me and I instantly fell in love. It felt so great, the balance and weight was unbelievable. When I through the gun up to my shoulder it was as if I was pointing at something with my extended arm. I knew right then that I would have to have one someday. I didn't know how soon that day would be because three days ago I made a deal to buy a 28ga. with 26" bar. s/t english stock Parker repro. The gun has never been shot and has 100% of the case coloring and not a single blemish on the wood. Besides my wife and children it is the prettiest thing I have ever seen. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Brad

Dave Suponski
02-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Brad,Welcome aboard! Glad to have ya.....:)

calvin humburg
02-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Brad,
U r starting out with a dandy shoot it yet? I would like a 28 or a 10 or a.............I'm a new b also just 1 parker, got my eye on a hammerless twist gun on ivory beads stock is marked up but I like that better than proud metal. Then theres that 10 on pugs guns hammer gun they call original great twist pattern and case colar but I think its restored but a bute. Dean did u really eat a mouse? u da man ch

Jay Gardner
02-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Brad,

Welcome...enjoy your new affliction. 28 ga Repros are sweet shooting guns, for feathered or clay birds. Pretty sure that if I had to get rid of all my guns my 28 ga repro would be the last to go.

How about posting some pictures?

Jay Gardner

Brad Mitchell
02-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Jay,

This gun is so beautiful I know I am going to be scared to death the first few times I hunt with it. But, that is why I bought it and I'm going to use it every chance I get. I will post some pictures as soon as I learn how.

Brad

Jay Gardner
02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Jay,

This gun is so beautiful I know I am going to be scared to death the first few times I hunt with it. But, that is why I bought it and I'm going to use it every chance I get. I will post some pictures as soon as I learn how.

Brad

The upside of the "piano" finish on the Repros is they'll take quite a bit of abuse. That bing said, there is something sad about a Parker that does not show signs of good, honest use.

Brad Mitchell
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
I hope the pictures of my 28ga. repro downloaded correctly.

Brad Mitchell
02-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, I see my pictures went through. I hope I get to try her out Saturday because Grouse season in Kentucky goes out this weekend. It's a long time until next fall:crying:.

Brad

Larry Frey
02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Nice job on the pictures Brad. I really like the way the yellow and oranges seem to highlight the dogs. You might want to apply a protectant on the frame to help preserve the case colors.

Brad Mitchell
02-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Larry,

I'm new to Parker guns. What type of protectant are you refering to?

Larry Frey
02-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Brad I have not done it myself but have read that various products such as tung oil and perhaps certain spray on varnish products can be applied to the metal parts to protect the delicate colors from being removed by friction and the oils from your hands. Hopefully someone with some experience with this process will chime in.

Eric Eis
02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Brad, Repo colors wear very quickly no matter what you do, so do what all of us have done and use the gun and enjoy it for what it was made for. :) The colors on these guns fade or are worn down very quickly so unless you don't want to use the gun and have it a safe queen just enjoy it they are great guns.....

Dave Suponski
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Dean and I were talking about this today. I thought that once my Repros colors were gone that would be the time to strip the wood and put a nice oil finish on the gun.They could wear together and the gun would be about perfect...

I think I will just send it to Dave Fuller at that point.....:bowdown:

Brad Mitchell
02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Eric,

There is no way this gun will be a safe queen. I can't afford to spend this kind of money and then not enjoy the gun for the purpose it was made for. That's like someone buying a new pickup truck and not hauling anything in it because they're afraid to scratch the bed. If everything goes well I will be in the woods with it Saturday.

Dean,

I'm going to try to keep the case color wear to a minimum. But, if it wears off it wears off. As far as I am concerned right now the only way I would sell it is if I needed to put food on the table and that was the only way to do it.

Brad

Jay Gardner
02-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I took semi-chrome to my Repro a couple of years ago, just to be done with it. The only thing I don't like is the resulting chrome like appearance of the receiver. I believe I have talked my self into having the case re-done and so I'll probably be dropping it off with Brad B next week. I will post pictures of the finished (or should I say re-finished product).

JDG

Dave Suponski
02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the tip Jay. I think I will just let it wear off through use.