PDA

View Full Version : 50 Best Shotguns Ever (Field & Stream)

Jack Cronkhite
02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Came across this. Interesting points of view.

50 BEST (http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/guns/shotguns/shotgun-reviews/2007/11/50-best-shotguns-ever-made?photo=0)

Pete Lester
02-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Unless I missed it I was surprised to the Krieghoff K-80, which has reigned over ATA trap fields for a couple of decades was not on the list.

Francis Morin
02-20-2010, 05:43 AM
First was David Petzal's "Best 50 guns ever made in US of A" and old Davey-Boy got the first one right- pre-1964 Model 70. Later, I believe Phil Bourjaily, their shotgun editor, followed suit with his "Best 50 shotguns"--well written, although not with the heavy dash of vinegar on the "fish and chips" that either the late Cactus Jack O'Connor or the current Mr. P seem to add to their articles.

I think anytime you do a "List", whether a Letterman Top Ten or the Best Athletic Supporters Ever Designed--you always throw a bit of caution to the winds, as you won't find 100% agreement from your readership.

I was surprised to find the great M12 in the front ranks, as well it should be (IMO) but the equally great M21 in about the middle section. I would have placed it well ahead of the fine Ithaca NID , both had about the same production time, the Ithaca 1925 to 1948 I believe, the M21 1931 to 1959, with due allowances for the WW11 years.

Jack O'Connor liked the Ithaca, in his "The Shotgun Book" he mentions a 20 he bought for his wife Eleanor, but when he compared the Ithaca as to fit up, finish, wood and engraving- to the Parker and AH Fox guns, the Ithaca was in "tailgunner position"!!

A segue, but as Phil B's father knew writer John Madson, author of Out Home-I read that John and his then 13 year old son Chris were guests of Jack and Eleanor at their home in Arizona. Chris was at that great phase in his life, loved all the outdoor sports, and was very impressed with Jack's gun and trophy room with its racks of fine rifles and shotguns and mounted heads adorning the walls. After the "tour", Jack turned to Chris and apparently said-- "Well, Chris, what do you think?"-- The lad thought for a moment and then said to Jack-- "Well Mr. O'Connor, you don't do very much fishing, do you?"

My best 50 shotguns ever made anywhere list- huum- not an autoloader or an over-under man, nor a clays shooter except casual DU events--OK, in the first five- Parker, M12, M21, Browning A-5 and LC Smiths (the early ones made before 1913 highly favored-- Best five trapguns, mainly for singles-- M12, Parker SBT, Ithaca "Knick" SBT, Lujitc SBT and Rem 32/Kreighoff clone- best five trapguns for all events: 16 yard singles, handicap to 27 yards and doubles-- Belgian Browning O/U, M12, Rem 32/Krieghoff, Perazzi and Browning Citori O/U.

Best five skeet guns (tricky for me, Trap is a 12 gauge game, skeet goes from 12 through .410 bore (excepting the 16 of course)-- huumm, OK-- Model 12, Model 42 (aka- the "Baby M12") Remington 1100 and its great variants, either Browning O/U and the one gauge with extra tubed barrels can be included, and the Remington 870-- Sporting Clays- I'll take a "pass" here, believe when the late Bob Brister introduced the American shotgunners to it back in the 1980's it was then described at "golf with a shotgun" and your pet hunting gun was recommended. Now we have choke tubes and clays thrown to resemble 'Spring teal" and "Wascally Wabbits"--I shoot maybe three fun SC events a year, always use a 12 side-by that I also hunt with-

Finally, the old "One gun theory" I've often heard- God forbid I am ever restricted to only one and only one escopeta to handle everything- birds, waterfowl, self defense and the "Stopper" for a Kodiak Bear or a wounded Lion in Africa- the one shotgun whether still in production or no longer- easy pick-- Winchester pre-WW11 Model 12- in 12 gauge (not the heavier M12 Duck) 28" mod choke barrel--:bigbye:

Bruce Day
02-20-2010, 09:24 AM
These "best" lists seem to pop up whenever the writer is running out of more creative things to say or write about, so they fall back to list time to generate a little controversy and to satisfy their advertisers.

Fred Preston
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I heard on the TV news this morning that Cleveland made the top of Forbes list of most miserable cities. Boy did that get the blowdried/hairsprayed crew chattering.